Raccoon attacked my flock; one Hen has organs exposed, but breathing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sometimesginger, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Sometimesginger

Sometimesginger New Egg

Jan 18, 2015
    I have an injured chicken; she has main injury on her side by her right leg, organs are exposed! I have her inside, warm, cleaned up with bag balm ointment applied to light injuries, but I am not sure about the organs exposed. She is such a trooper, not even from my orginal flock; i adopted her from neighbor that coulnd't care for his flock anymore. Her name is Art, short for escape artist.
    Poor Art. I know she may not make it, i'm not sure what to do though. Do i just keep her comfortable and see what happens?
    Art was found bt my shed and the neighbors fence, just a mess but alive.
    Am I prolonging her death, or do I wrap her up and keep her alive? I have had my flock for just over a year now, this bird tho adopted, is the same age and from the same hatchery my flock came from locally. She's not very smart since the neighbors birds were never cared for as mine were. But I don't want anything to go wrong. Its already bad enough.
    I'm still in shock. I forgot to lock the coop. I feel awful.
    Thanks for your help,
    Jennifer.[​IMG]

2. Free Feather

Free Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

I would give her a chance. Some of mine have pulled through worse.

3. Sometimesginger

Sometimesginger New Egg

Jan 18, 2015
    I will for sure give her a chance....so here is what I will do just after lunchtime; i'll wash with warm rag, apply bag balm and keep her warm and dry inside till she tells me otherwise. I kept one of her flock mates alive after having her entire right side of her neck ripped off, so I am confident I can do well for Miss Art too.

Thank you for the encouragement. I think I need that MORE THAN anything today :) (I think the color is coming back to my face after finding her torn up, fighting for her life!)

I have her wound covered with a paper towel for cover, then I used a cut off leg from my pajamas warmed in the microwave to keep her from shivering, and then she's wrapped up in a fleece bathmat here on my coffee table so I can keep an eye on her!
    Her breathing is normal pace now, and she is not twitching around. I am monitoring her constantly! Poor girl. I will keep you updated.
    Jennifer.

4. Free Feather

Sounds like you are doing good by her. Just keep her hydrated and clean. Good luck!

5. Sometimesginger

Sometimesginger New Egg

Jan 18, 2015
    well i helped her feel comfortable in her distress, but Art passed away b4 bed last night. Thanks for your encouragement!

6. mommarob

mommarob Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2014
    So very sorry for your loss. You tried your best.

7. Free Feather

When I saw an update in my subscriptions for this thread, I figured it would be bad news. Sometimes there is nothing we can do. At least she was comfortable and knew people cared about her.

8. Sometimesginger

Sometimesginger New Egg

Jan 18, 2015
    Thanks! I like to think i kept her comfortable all the way to the end, keeping her warm and hugging her as she died. Telling her it was ok to go, i'll take care of the rest of the flock and that we'd miss her. She was a good hen all the way to the end. RIP Art the chickadoo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by