Raccoon Attacked My Runner Duck....Don't Know How to Treat!

Calebs Acre

Songster
14 Years
May 17, 2008
Long Island
I know that I can and will search the forum here for the answers I need, but I am feeling like time is so important that I am going to post in case I get a reply before I find it!!

The raccoon broke in and slaughtered 12 ducks, but there are three survivors and one is injured....besides his beak looking like a wrecked from fender, his entire right side from his neck to behind his wing over to his back is bloody and raw.

I've only had my chickens, ducks and geese for a short while and have no experience with how to properly care for him. His lifelong runner friend died just a little while ago, so we picked him up and put him in a cat carrier to bring him in the house. I do not have a vet to visit tonight. If I need to give him antibiotics, I only have pills for my dog. I don't know if we should try to clean the wound, use Betadine or another horse remedy?

Any help or advice would be appreciated. Please reply to my PM if you don't mind since I'll get that faster.

Thanks so much!!!

Clean the wound with the Betadine but don't give any antibiotics just yet. Got any Blukote? as long as the wounds are not too deep use that on the duck. If deep clean them well and then you can close them with sutures. Do not put him on shavings of any kind, they are a bugger to get back out of a wound. use old towels to bed him with.

nbreeder..you can use blu-kote on ducks?..thats good to know for an emergency, cause i have some for my goats...thanks for the info....
smile.png
..Wendy..hope the ducks make it..Wendy

There has been occasions that all of our birds were at least partly blue. The dog tried to cross the horse pasture after the attack but a dog just can't outrun a horse.

Back
Top Bottom