1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Raccoon attacked our NHR chicken last night. Antibiotic dosages?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickenHopper, Oct 31, 2013.

1. ChickenHopper

ChickenHopper New Egg

Apr 22, 2013
    Early Halloween night for us. We were awakened at 1:30am by the screams of our chickens in their coop. I went out to investigate and one of our chickens named Hopper was attacked by a raccoon(i think) Apparently the raccoon was trying to pull her through the chicken wire. She was wandering around in shock so I picked her up and carried her into the house to clean her up. Upon inspection I found a large gash near her neck and breast area. The raccoon punctured a hole into her crop (google chicken anatomy) and food was coming out. Gross I know. My wife asked "what are we were going to do???".... I said put her back together and see what happens. I sewed up her crop and sutured up the skin. Little Hopper was such a trooper. She barely flinched while operating on our kitchen table...on a baking pan no less. I'll spare you the really gory pictures and show the finished results.

This morning before work she looked good and was active. Eating soft food and drinking. Hoping that she will make a miraculous recovery and continue to be our best laying hen. Keep her in your thoughts.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ChickenHopper

ChickenHopper New Egg

Apr 22, 2013
    What antibiotic dosage for chickens? Mix in water or yogurt? Will see how she is doing when I get home from work :(

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If you can get some keflex, or amoxicillin from the vet it would be good. If you haveto get it from the feed store, then Procaine Penicillin G would be good in a small vial with syringes and needles--20-22 gauge. Give 1/10 th of a cc or ml dsily for 4 days into the breast muscle.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by