Raccoon Bait?

Bleenie

Wyan-DO's
10 Years
Jul 14, 2009
The Beautiful Pacific NW ,WA
We saw a coon on the property last night...little monster was about 7ft from us eating some dog food i had forgot to pick up...just so happened to be right next to my baby ducks/geese too.

I am going to look for a live trap to get rid of any that go into it but was wondering about bait..do they like Tuna? or will i just catch a cat?
roll.png

In the last 3 nights we have caught 1 raccoon Mom and 5 kits, in the Tractor supply traps using marshmallows as bait. If we used tuna etc we would have only caught the neighbors barn cats. I hope we wiped out the whole family as they killed 5 of my chickens before we knew what was out there at night. Good luck

Even if you do catch a cat, you can just let it go and try again. There's always the chance that you'll get something other than a 'coon. I've heard they like cat food.

We saw a raccoon approach our fairly secure run and coop yesterday during the day. My wife just yelled and scared it off.
I set a raccoon trap at night using cat food (chicken flavored :-( and 3 marshmallows. Within a couple hours I checked the trap and a huge raccoon was sitting there fat and happy. Then I had to figure out what to do with it! The trap was quite heavy. I drove it 5 miles away and released it. Now I've read that their homing skills are excellent and it'll probably return. It's a battle out there protecting the girls.

coons have a killer sweet tooth, i love using marshmellows. here in ohio it is illegal not to kill an animal you have trapped unless you are going to release it back where you caught it ($500 fine).

I'm in an established residential neighborhood. Raccoons used to destroy my newly planted flowers and scratch on my sliding glass door to be let in!!! I tried to scare them away, they were not afraid of anything. I got a havahart trap and set it up with the stinkiest cat food I could find. Every morning there was a raccoon in the trap. I used to put a dot of orange landscape spray paint on the back of each raccoon I trapped so I'd know if I was catching the same ones over and over. I used to relocate them too. After I'd trapped 67 (yep, I counted) I gave up. Now the law says they have to be destroyed instead of relocated. That's a shame. I was enjoying releasing them in the back yards of various politicians and unscrupulous government officials.

A raccoon killed one of our Ameraucanas 3 nights ago. We caught him last night. He was a GOOD twenty pounds. We used marshmallows w/ peanutbutter leading in to the live trap and a piece of bread with grape jelly on the far end. He was trapped by 1am. RIP Rocky. BTW: we used anchovies the previous night and caught an opossum. Sweet things are the way to go for raccoons.

Quote:
That is good to know...we have had racoons that seem to come for the birdseed we have out for the songbirds...thankfully they haven't seemed interested in the hens up at the barn and coop~yet~but I know they will eventually. We have trapped them before, but we used canned cat food, and caught a few possums and skunks
hide.gif
which was the frustrating part...it is not selective! Thanks for the tip to use sweets...I'm going to get some marshmallows!

Back
Top Bottom