Raccoon figured it out, then I got it too.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Mikee1948, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Mikee1948

Mikee1948 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    Ok, a week ago I lost three hens to a raccoon. I was told to use hardware cloth on my fencing, which I did. Thought I was safe, til the other night when the last two hens started squawking. I went running out in my slippers to find another dead hen, the last remaining live one, and the raccoon, all in the run. I didn't want to go back to the house to get something "substantial", so I grabbed the only thing laying there, a piece of birch tree limb. The coon climbed the inside of the run fence, and stuck his head out of an opening I had somehow overlooked. You know that arcade game, called "Wack a Mole"? Well I proceded to wack the crap out of the coon's head! [​IMG] Two good wacks and he dropped down and ran past the other hen and climbed another spot on the fence. All I could do was jab him at this point. Then he ran back to the first spot and climbed the fence, sticking his head out again. Again I wacked him, only this time I broke the stick. [​IMG] I was forced to open the gate and let him go. [​IMG]
    Here's a picture of the opening, and the repair job. It's about 4 x 7 inches.
    [​IMG]
    I picked three of these pullets up today, a cross between RIR and a White Rock, from Moyers. The last RIR I have is also in the picture. She has company again! You can also see the hardware cloth I placed around the perimeter, over the other wire.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  2. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    [​IMG]

so sorry [​IMG]

3. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I would have shot it dead in an instant, darn raccoons! [​IMG]

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Oh my, I can see you pounding away at that coon! What an image! Good for you for not giving up. Now, I'd put a lock on that pop door for night-time safety.

5. Mikee1948

May 19, 2011
    Oh yeah, I lock them in. Put the trail cam by the coop to check if I dissuaded the raccoon from returning.

6. mrpekinduck

mrpekinduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Ducky Land!
    A raccoon can squeeze through a 4in. space [​IMG] I'm so sorry about your babies and I hope you dont lose anymore! [​IMG]

7. Mikee1948

May 19, 2011
    Guess what, a squirrel can squeeze through a 2 inch square. Heard the hens squawking a few minutes ago.[​IMG]

8. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    I hope that coon has brain damage now!!

9. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Shoot the pesky squirrel

10. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I saw a possum go through a 1 1/2 inch slot. No space is to small to cover. I've not had coon problems yet but I know it's coming.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by