Raccoon in our yard! Tell me about electric fences...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ZaneyMama, Jun 21, 2010.

1. ZaneyMama

ZaneyMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2010
    Boulder, Colorado
    We just moved to our house two months ago, and a couple nights ago, there was evidence of a raccoon in our yard. It spread stuff out of our compost bin, but I didn't see any evidence of it trying to get into the chicken coop.

I have hardware cloth around the entire run and the chickens are locked up tight in their coop at night. I'm thinking of putting an electric fence up either around the entire yard or the coop and run.

I've never dealt with electric fences - how does one actually put one up and what kind of cost is involved?

I also have a 3 year old so I'm worried about him shocking himself.

Thanks!

2. americancowboy

americancowboy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2010
    georgia
    you could just trap or shoot it. Cheaper alternative.

3. Major Buff Orpington

Major Buff Orpington Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2010
    Electric fences usually run either off a wind generator or straight from a battery. They give one almighty jolt and I wouldn't want a child of 3 going anywhere near it.
    We don't have racoons here in the UK but I guess secure housing at night is the only defense. Are you allowed to shoot racoons or are they protected?
    MBO

4. newchicksnducks

newchicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Electric fencers for livestock runs on an alternate current...pulse on, pulse off. You purchase a fencer, or charger, at a size according to how many feet the wire has to run (x the number of strands you want electrified) and how strong of a jolt you want. You need a larger fencer for cattle than you do for chickens, for example. A three year old CAN be taught not to touch an electric fence, but sometimes the way they learn is by touching it in the first place! Any child younger than that, I would definately keep away from the fence. Go to your local TSC or feed store, they should be able to give you more information.

5. ZaneyMama

ZaneyMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2010
    Boulder, Colorado
    I doubt that we're allowed to shoot raccoon here in Boulder, CO. I'd rather find a way to protect the chickens. What are the other options?

6. americancowboy

americancowboy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2010
    georgia
    you probaly are allowed to shoot them since they are considered a nuisance. You could trap it which wont involve a gun.

7. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Pellet guns do a great job on raccoons, providing you get one in the 1000 fps range.

8. bayareapilot

bayareapilot Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2010
    San Francisco
    Shooting the raccoon is usually not a good option since while a raccoon has established territory for foraging, other raccoons won't enter its' foraging territory. Better bet is to zap the coon with an electric fence (keeps him away from the chickens) that way he will keep your area as a foraging territory (without bothering your chickens) - which will keep other raccoons from exploring your yard. I say, use their own natural behaviors 'against' them. ;0)

Quote:

9. huntercf

huntercf Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    For the electric fence you will want to check the amps, that is what kills you not the volts. I have been nipped by an electric fence many times since I was a young child and I sit here writing this. They are designed to shock and not kill, just a little bit more of a bite than putting a 9volt on your tongue.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  10. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by