1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Raccoon injury...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cherbearcraftmama, Sep 22, 2011.

1. cherbearcraftmama

cherbearcraftmama New Egg

Aug 2, 2011
    I had a raccoon grab one of my girls through the fence last night and pulled her foot and tore off a lot of her feathers around it. By the time i got out there ( holding my machete, hubby had the gun ) he had taken off and left her bleeding I put her in her laying box and kept vigil all night waiting for that sucker to come back. He didn't but tonight may be a different story. Anywhoo, checked her out this morning and she had her foot plucked by his forcible grab and the skin was pulled from her breast just a tiny bit like an inch. It is bleeding a little still so i made her a hospital room in my laundry room to heal. My question is can I put ATB ointment on it, should I wrap it or air out to heal, can I use quick heal which i have from horses ? Please help Ü She is THE sweetest most wonderful chicken and I really want her to get better . Thanks to any and all who respond

2. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

Care for it like you would a wound on a horse: Clean it, put something to keep it from getting infected, wrap it if possible and give her supportive care. A little electrolyte in your water would be helpful and keeping her in a warm place (not too warm, but at least room temp) so her body can focus on healing and heating.

Wrapping it isn't terribly important, just keep her environment clean. Feed her some egg yolk and things she likes to keep her strength.

3. cherbearcraftmama

cherbearcraftmama New Egg

Aug 2, 2011
    Thank you!! I didn't even think about the electrolyte but that is so true. Not sure if she will let me wrap it but we'll see Ü

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by