Raccoon issue!

ashlierami

Crowing
5 Years
Feb 9, 2017
Alabama
Last night I had the scare of my life. Around 1130pm I heard some noises. It sounded like things being knocked over in the area where my broody hen has her nest. I expected the stray tomcat to be what I would find. It was raining heavily but I still went out there and I'm so glad I did. A raccoon had taken my white silkie off her nest and was attempting to steal her eggs! She is on day 15 this can't happen! I made a noise and it ran off. I immediately brought her and her nest inside my house! I kept thinking what if I had just ignored those noises my hen and her eggs would probably be gone. I assume the coon took her off her nest Because she was just standing blindly beside the coon while it reached into her nest. I had a piece of cardboard blocking her nest from the other hens and the coon had removed this. All the eggs were safe and I got there just in time. The hen wasn't harmed either she was just highly pissed that her sleep had been disturbed. Is this normal for the raccoon to not harm her? I for sure thought it would have tried to eat her. Maybe I got there before anything could happen? I have never had an issue with racoons. I know they are a huge pest as well as disease carrying. What can I do to make this raccoon go away? My other chickens were locked into their separate coops for the night she was in the area where the other laying nests are .

Two questions come to mind.......

First......how could you hear something going on at 11:30 PM? Goldilocks, the three bears and a bunch of heavy metal rockers could be having one heckuva party at that time of night and I'd never know it.

Second.....how is it possible that a coon gained entry into the house to make this assault?

This guy tried........
SUNP1107.JPG

and this guy failed......as have all other varmints. Once the sun goes down.....birds are supposed to be safe. No matter what.

BTW, look close and you will see an apron he is standing on. Can't break in....can't dig his way in. All he can do is try........and fail. So as much as he would like to be the winner of a chicken dinner......he gets nothing.

The first question was my failed attempt at humor. Running joke is a tornado could hit the house and I wouldn't know about it until the next morning when I wake up to find the house missing.

Second question is more serious. No coon should ever be able to get to your birds at night. It will be back and all of your birds are at risk of being killed when it does. You can trap and kill that one but it has a house full of relatives who will arrive to take its place.

I'm am hoping you have looked for, found and fixed wherever the entry point was that allowed a coon to get that close. If not, you are on the clock, as it will be back.

Last night I had the scare of my life. Around 1130pm I heard some noises. It sounded like things being knocked over in the area where my broody hen has her nest. I expected the stray tomcat to be what I would find. It was raining heavily but I still went out there and I'm so glad I did. A raccoon had taken my white silkie off her nest and was attempting to steal her eggs! She is on day 15 this can't happen! I made a noise and it ran off. I immediately brought her and her nest inside my house! I kept thinking what if I had just ignored those noises my hen and her eggs would probably be gone. I assume the coon took her off her nest Because she was just standing blindly beside the coon while it reached into her nest. I had a piece of cardboard blocking her nest from the other hens and the coon had removed this. All the eggs were safe and I got there just in time. The hen wasn't harmed either she was just highly pissed that her sleep had been disturbed. Is this normal for the raccoon to not harm her? I for sure thought it would have tried to eat her. Maybe I got there before anything could happen? I have never had an issue with racoons. I know they are a huge pest as well as disease carrying. What can I do to make this raccoon go away? My other chickens were locked into their separate coops for the night she was in the area where the other laying nests are .
The eggs are an easier target. The coon would have probably killed her before leaving and come back for her body if you hadn't come out. I'm glad you saved her and her eggs! Yes, make sure your broodies are safe.

You can try live traps, but if the coon has any size to it, the trap will be destroyed. I use foot traps with a piece of cantaloupe next to it, but then it was after my mellons. When trapped, shoot it. And there are more, it will tell them where you are if not come back with them.

I have seen live traps used successfully with problem raccoons. Also raccoons are known to return, and return with friends. I have lived (and worked) places where raccoons return almost nightly for weeks/months until they are ultimately relocated. Once they find something good, they keep coming back. Only use a live trap if you have a good plan on what you will do with the raccoon once you trap it. In my experience they can be quite angry once trapped and quite dangerous. If live trapping is your goal, I recommend partnering with animal control or DOW. They will often supply a loaner trap and pick up the raccoon once it has been caught. Good luck. Glad your girl and her nest are safe for now!

Two questions come to mind.......

First......how could you hear something going on at 11:30 PM? Goldilocks, the three bears and a bunch of heavy metal rockers could be having one heckuva party at that time of night and I'd never know it.

Second.....how is it possible that a coon gained entry into the house to make this assault?

This guy tried........View attachment 1291761
and this guy failed......as have all other varmints. Once the sun goes down.....birds are supposed to be safe. No matter what.

BTW, look close and you will see an apron he is standing on. Can't break in....can't dig his way in. All he can do is try........and fail. So as much as he would like to be the winner of a chicken dinner......he gets nothing.
To answer you question I had just went to bed. And I am a light sleeper. I know I have animals so if u hear noises I don't just ignore it and think things are fine. I also have 2 cats that go out and night and come back around 12 or 2am. If I hear something it can be anything. A predator, strange person, I always check things out. Also where she was located is not that far from the house so noises such as things falling can be heard. And the second question is unknown.

Back
Top Bottom