Raccoon kill?

Flash534

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 14, 2011
Wichita Falls, Texas
Found 2 of my chickens today when I got home. Both headless, and both had their innards eaten. One was inside of the coop, the other outside under a tree about 20 yards away. The one in the coop was a handsome young BBR Araucana cockrel that I had hopes for.
sad.png
Does it sound like a raccoon to anyone else?

Was this done in the during the day? Raccoons are usually nocturnal animals. If it was done at night I would say coon. Sorry for your loss.

Quote:
What cartoon raccoons do you have running around? Not that I have any predators here in the city, but from what I've read raccoons will eat anything they can get their grubby little paws on, even pulling off pieces of chickens through fences.

Flash534: so sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif

Quote:
The raccoons in Ohio, kill, remove body parts, leave a wing or a leg and feathers. Caught the little thieves in the act. Believe me they do kill chicks, chickens, guineas and turkeys.

It was during the night. No skunk smell. We have caught a possum in our live trap before. I've got my trap set again. I need to get a rope tied to it in case it does end up being a skunk. I'm going to have to build a bigger better chicken run. *sighs*

Quote:
The raccoons in Ohio, kill, remove body parts, leave a wing or a leg and feathers. Caught the little thieves in the act. Believe me they do kill chicks, chickens, guineas and turkeys.

x2 same in south carolina!i lost 2 roos and a hen to racoons last week!after that i set traps,ive caught 4 racoons in the last 6 days!
thumbsup.gif

sorry about your loss Flash534

Last edited:
I had some problems with raccons where I use to live years ago. That sounds exactly how they did mine eat the head and the breast. Sometimes they would take the whole bird most times it was just how you describe. More than likely it is more than one. I used a live trap, but prevention is the only to stop them. I would get a dog if possible to bark and keep them away. I tried moth balls, but it didn't really work. A dog close by that would bark and scare them away is about the best bet. If they found a food source they will keep coming. I hope that helps and I hope you get rid of them soon.

Back
Top Bottom