Raccoon kill?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Flash534, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Flash534

Flash534 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2011
    Wichita Falls, Texas
    Found 2 of my chickens today when I got home. Both headless, and both had their innards eaten. One was inside of the coop, the other outside under a tree about 20 yards away. The one in the coop was a handsome young BBR Araucana cockrel that I had hopes for. [​IMG] Does it sound like a raccoon to anyone else?

2. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    Was this done in the during the day? Raccoons are usually nocturnal animals. If it was done at night I would say coon. Sorry for your loss.

3. Fowel Frenzy

Fowel Frenzy Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    LARAMIE, WYOMING
    racoon or someone in the weasel family seems likely. Sorry [​IMG]

4. bantamboy

bantamboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Conway Sc
    a raccoon normally doesnt kill the birds they normally go after the eggs. sounds like you got you a possum problem

5. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2010
    Seminole, Oklahoma
    Sounds like the same story as the one over here at my place. I set out a trap to catch the "coon" last night. Found this morning that the "coon" was a dang skunk!

6. UncleTommy

UncleTommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2011
    Sanger, CA
    Quote:What cartoon raccoons do you have running around? Not that I have any predators here in the city, but from what I've read raccoons will eat anything they can get their grubby little paws on, even pulling off pieces of chickens through fences.

7. mkcolls

mkcolls Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    Ohio
    Flash534: so sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

Quote:The raccoons in Ohio, kill, remove body parts, leave a wing or a leg and feathers. Caught the little thieves in the act. Believe me they do kill chicks, chickens, guineas and turkeys.

8. Flash534

Flash534 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2011
    Wichita Falls, Texas
    It was during the night. No skunk smell. We have caught a possum in our live trap before. I've got my trap set again. I need to get a rope tied to it in case it does end up being a skunk. I'm going to have to build a bigger better chicken run. *sighs*

9. gpwelding1

gpwelding1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2011
    upstate south carolina
    Quote:The raccoons in Ohio, kill, remove body parts, leave a wing or a leg and feathers. Caught the little thieves in the act. Believe me they do kill chicks, chickens, guineas and turkeys.

x2 same in south carolina!i lost 2 roos and a hen to racoons last week!after that i set traps,ive caught 4 racoons in the last 6 days![​IMG]
    sorry about your loss Flash534

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  10. NEK38583

NEK38583 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2008
    Sparta, TN
    I had some problems with raccons where I use to live years ago. That sounds exactly how they did mine eat the head and the breast. Sometimes they would take the whole bird most times it was just how you describe. More than likely it is more than one. I used a live trap, but prevention is the only to stop them. I would get a dog if possible to bark and keep them away. I tried moth balls, but it didn't really work. A dog close by that would bark and scare them away is about the best bet. If they found a food source they will keep coming. I hope that helps and I hope you get rid of them soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by