Raccoon killed my Drake, Hen is lonely

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by WizChick, Dec 29, 2010.

1. WizChick

WizChick Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2009
    Oregon City, OR
    What's the procedure for integrating new ducks? I had two fawn and white runners, a drake and a hen. My poor hen doesn't know what to do. She has the chickens but they aren't her man. If I'm going to get her a friend what should I get? Should I look for more hens or is another drake a good choice? How about getting a set of friends? will she be left out of their loop or will they accept her? Finding a drake will be the easiest thing so I lean in that direction but am not sure. Do I need to worry about an isolation period like I have to with chickens? Holderread is located in oregon and I'm thinking of calling them, there is also a farm store in Portland that has sold runners and have a left over or two that have been living in the store coop for a few months. I'm not worried that either source has sick ducks. Let me know what you think.

2. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    I would get her another mate
    You shouldnt have any issues with adding him

3. WizChick

WizChick Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2009
    Oregon City, OR
    Great thanks. I just called the farm store and they have a drake they are looking to get rid of and he's free. I'm actually out of town until friday night and my brother is having to handle the loss. I just called him and it sounds like he's willing to pick up the drake in the morning. Lets hope it goes well. I don't have a place to pen him up to adjust him. Every one free ranges at my house.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by