Raccoon killing

Sixpets

Chirping
6 Years
Nov 24, 2013
I had five chickens then one morning one was decapitated an other in smithereens

I know it's a raccoon but why and how :confused:

HELP :barnie
Ps:they were only one and a half months old

:bun

Last edited:
I am so sorry for your loss
hugs.gif

welcome-byc.gif
How ? Because Raccoons are smart as the dickens. Why? because they can.

If you use just chicken wire - any predator can slice through it like butter. Much safer to use 1/2" hardware cloth, securely fastened to framework not, just with zip ties. Raccoons have opposable thumbs they can open almost all types of latches. They can climb, they can dig, they can jump down from overhead branches. Their worst trait is snaring any part of a chicken they can reach thru fencing and biting it off. They cause great suffering, horrific damage and death .

Study the predator sections on BYC. Have your discovered how it gained access to your birds? If you set up a game cam you can see where the preds are coming from, how they get in, etc.
It was successful, it will be back, and maybe bring the family with it. Are you able to trap/shoot in your area? It won't stop others from coming but, you'll know one is gone for good.

Electric fencing can work to repel them is the set-up is good.

Thanks we have a regular wire coop

one of the latches was open at night

Welcome to BYC! The raccoons will keep coming back until you either trap them and get rid of them, or you need to reinforce your coop so that they cannot get in. This means replacing all wire with 1/4 inch hardware cloth which is a very strong wire that they cannot pry apart or reach thru, using child proof locks on your coop doors, and making sure that there is absolutely no entry points that they can get into. I recommend looking thru the Coops forum and also if you post in the Predators and Pest sections someone will be able to help you with the raccoon issue. Good luck! https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/9/coop-amp-run-design-construction-amp-maintenance https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/13/predators-and-pests

Welcome to BYC - sorry for the circumstances. Why? Because they are hungry and are putting on weight and fat for the winter. How? With their crafty little 'simian' hands. They can open latches, tear a bird apart through the wire, rip wire from pens, open a variety of locks, and the list goes on. Get a live trap. Bait and set it and DISPATCH the culprit.

Back
Top Bottom