1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Raccoon making himself right at home on my porch - dumping out potted

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by peacebird, Jun 12, 2007.

1. peacebird

peacebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Virginia
    plants, harrassing Webbie (my indoors-only cat), and trying to get back into my coop. [​IMG]

I'ld welcome any and all suggestions of how to discourage him, or get rid of him entirely.....

2. Jezebelle

Jezebelle Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2007
    Pinnacle, NC
    invest in a gun..or get one of those humane traps, bait it and set it and wait for the unlucky guy to get caught. Then call animal control and they take his behind away, or you take him way far away and put him out. But if you have an out door cat you might want to keep them in for the night, and you might find a stray cat in the trap. BUT thats about the only way to get rid of them! Just be safe if u do the trap method yourself use HEAVY workers gloves!!

http://www.aaanimalcontrol.com/Professional-Trapper/nationwide-trappers.htm

theres a place to look up a pro coon catcher

3. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Ammonia soaked rags will help some with repelling raccoons. It worked for us for a while. We finally had to resort to a live trap.

4. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    Try to catch him in a humane trap and rehome him. It's the nicest thing to do. Please don't kill him. Trap him and drive him far away, best if you take him somewhere out in the country so he'll be safe and happy. Wear thick gloves!!! Be careful and good luck.

1 person likes this.
  5. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I would trap & drown him I know people don't like to do it. But I wouldn't dare try to let one out of a cage. A friend tried it once and it came out and tried to attack him. The cage was the only thing keeping it from bitting him. In florida its illegal to release or relocate them so find out what your state laws are and go from there.

6. Southern28Chick

Apr 16, 2007
    IMO I think it should be illegal to drown them!!!

1 person likes this.
  7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I would shoot it as drowning is suffering and a well placed shot is instant. I wouldn't release as it is also considered a pest here and relocating it can bring disaster to someone else's animals or it can come bak.

1 person likes this.
  8. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    another one gone many to follow.

[​IMG]

9. Southern28Chick

Apr 16, 2007
    peacebird,
    Do what YOU think is right. It's up to you. You're the one that has to live with what you plan to do. I don't kill animals, but it's up to you.

10. cookinmom

cookinmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    Saint George GA
    Too bad they're so pesky -- they sure are cute! OK, don't shoot me!!!! I know they're a nuisance, and I begrudge no one they're method of disposal!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by