1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Raccoon News Story

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ducks4you, Oct 9, 2009.

1. ducks4you

ducks4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    I'm surprised that NOBODY posted this story from this last Monday, October 5th. Here's the link:
    http://www.wesh.com/green-pages/21202411/detail.html
    City people sometimes think that they'd make a great pet. I believe that their numbers are out of control, because the behavior in this article suggests aggressive actions from animals looking for territory. Me and my neighbors think "a good raccoon is a dead raccoon." Anybody want a coon hat?

2. chixie

chixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    my parents had one when they first got married... my dad foundit in the middle of the rice fields... it was hairless and tiny... they raised him ... he knew how to flush the toilet... everyone loved him... then one day he grew up and ran away... they were heart broken.. his name was Baby... but they also knew the time would come that he would go away... they let him leave when he was ready... my uncle was sleeping and he was snoring ... he woke up to the raccon pring his mouth open and was looking in his mouth to see where the noise was coming from

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  3. lavacaw

lavacaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    South Central Texas
    [​IMG]

4. Ashmeade

Ashmeade Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    That article seems a bit odd as it presents like the woman was attacked by a pack of raccoons but from the comments on the video (which I did not see), it sounds like it was a mother raccoon protecting her babies.

I am sorry the woman was hurt but any idiot knows not to mess with a wild animal and her babies! [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  5. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
  6. ducks4you

ducks4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    The first time I heard farmers at the elevator (in the late 1980's) talk about raccoons attacking their hunting dogs and sometimes drowning them, I changed my view. There are a lot of wild animals in the woods that are not as aggressive as a raccoon (some more aggressive, like a mountain lion and a badger), but the raccoon's terriroty is so wide I believe that they are dangerous. Any raccoon that attacks my animals or family won't live to do it twice.

7. deanna&rich

deanna&rich Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2009
    chimacum, WA
    I watched the video. It was definately a mother coon with youngsters. The woman was at fault for messing with them.

ANY mammal is dangerous it's young are threatened. Dogs, cats, even humans.

8. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    Quote:OMG, I just snorted up what I was drinking! That's hilarious!! [​IMG]

9. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    What video? I watched the one attached to the news story on the link, but there's nothing there to tell me that the woman ATTACKED the raccoons! If she ran at them or something, then i guess i understand their being scared and "defending" themselves. But i can't go to "it was her fault."

That whole business is freakin' scary!

10. honeydoll

honeydoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Stark County, NE Ohio
    Well, I read the story too and saw I thought it said she came out with a broom to chase them off. Maybe it was a different story. Even so, she may not have known it had it's babies near. I don't think she deserved it, maybe she didn't realize it was a mother with babies? But I wouldn't say it's her fault either. Coons are dangerous, and most mother animals are too. I worry about my kids, my oldest boy is autistic and to him all animals are lovable. With coons being so cute, I worry he would go near one in our yard. I always keep my eye on him because coons are everywhere, around our town. He thinks skunks are cute too and got sprayed two years ago because he thought it was a kitty. He got near it's burrow and SPRAY. We had tothrow away an $120.00 winter coat. DARNIT!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by