Raccoon or Opossum bait.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by 6RandomBrownLayers, Dec 20, 2011.

1. 6RandomBrownLayers

6RandomBrownLayers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2011
    Hi, anyone know a really good raccoon or opossum bait?

2. sherylreno

sherylreno Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Reno, Nevada
    People around here use dead chickens in their traps, is that what you are asking?

3. chickathon

chickathon Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2011
    West Virginia
    Sardines are best coons love them and so do opposums. If you have cats, I would use a honey bun or half of a peanut butter sandwich. Just put the peanut butter side down on the trip pannel so the coon or opposum will have to press on the panel to get it completely off. opposums are not picky they eat anything and i mean anything (road kill) ew.[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  4. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I have caught them with apples and carrots!

5. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    Raccoons love marshmallows. An electric fence will keep them away from a chicken run and putting marshmallows on the wire will ensure that they do get bit.

6. Blarneyeggs

Blarneyeggs Overrun With Chickens

Oct 22, 2011
    Southeast PA
    Hey guys, looking for some help here. Lost our one and only chick and two hens to what we thought was a raccoon or raccoons. Set live traps, caught a cat Monday night, which we released, got a opposum last night. Now... Ummmm what the heck do I do with this thing? We don't hunt, don't have guns and don't want to break the law.

Should I call the game warden to find out if it's legal for us to get rid of it? Or is it just perfectly ok to kill an opossum? I was quite certain that a raccoon was the culprit and suspect that we will eventually catch a raccoon or raccoons.

7. 6RandomBrownLayers

6RandomBrownLayers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2011
    Barney, depending on your local laws, it usually is fine to kill opossums if they are getting your chickens. If you don't have a gun the next best way to do it is fill a trash can or 55 gallon drum with water and throw the animal in there. Still inside the live trap of course. Wait 30 minutes and get the trap and animal back. Not sure how you want to dispose of it, some people throw them in the trash and the garbage men come get them.

8. brahmakid11

brahmakid11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    sitting on the toilet
    a raw hot dog they work for me

9. Blarneyeggs

Blarneyeggs Overrun With Chickens

Oct 22, 2011
    Southeast PA
    Thanks for your advice, I got some input from a local farmer as well.

10. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    Here in Bexar County it is illegal to relocate coons and possums you have to "dispose" of them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by