Raccoon Problem

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by gamelife, Nov 8, 2011.

1. gamelife

gamelife Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2011
    California
    Any tips or tricks to get rid of these coons? They got a hold of my sons pet rooster. The roo was in a pen
    and they managed to pull his wing through the wire and eat it to the bone. It was awful and sad, I had to put the bird down. I since then made my pens coon proof but they still terrify the chickens at night.
    Those pests need to go.
    Any advice?

2. workinnanie

workinnanie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Minnesota
    We live trap and relocate but haven't had a problem since my hh(handy hubby) put a green snow fence in the woods surrounding out property!

3. mominoz

mominoz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    North Georgia
    Coons are "little bears" and have all night to work, often in groups. Hotwire ,one near ground, one near top of fence will do the trick. Or a bullet.......... they will keep coming back for more "meals" and will bring friends and family. They can carry rabies.... Smart, nasty predators.

4. Black Cochin Bantams

Black Cochin Bantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    Iowa
    Many coons can be caught quite easily in a strong live trap. That way you don't have to stay up all night. I bait mine with dry cat food. Sometimes catch a cat but just turn it loose no worse for wear.

5. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Hey, they got a free meal [​IMG]

6. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    I just googled coon trapping there was a tips and tricks link that looked pretty good

7. workinnanie

workinnanie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Minnesota
    Quote:I always thought coons were so cute.....until we live trapped a few. They are really mean! Careful!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by