Raccoon proof coop

Zzil09

In the Brooder
Jul 25, 2020
I am new to keeping chickens and as my babies are getting ready to live in their coop/run I am getting more and more nervous about the raccoons getting to them. We have 4 chickens we are keeping as pets not for production. Every night/morning there is evidence of raccoons, they get on our deck all the time, have scrapped with the dog twice, lights don’t bother them, they are always digging in the mulch around the house. I have even hear raccoon fights several times at night.
Anyway as far as the coop goes we got one from a friend for free making chicken keeping affordable for us this year. one of my main concerns is that it is made out of 1/4” plywood. Should that be reinforced? I have used an air nailer to overlap and staple the hardware cloth in the run. In addition to the air staples I have either sandwiched It with wood or I will use washers to further secure the hardware cloth. We did put hardware cloth under the run. And are adding hasp/ with Carabiner to the existing latches. Any other suggestions? Is 1/4” plywood too thin? If so how do I fix it without building a whole new coop? We have contemplated running a couple electric Lines around the bottom exterior. Is this overkill?

It’s a 4’x8 ‘ coop and run. It’s smaller than I would prefer but we are going to let them free range when we are around. I have also been trying to increase ventilation and decrease drafts since we live in Michigan we have significant temp either swings. Hopefully in the next year we will be able to build a lager coop and run.

Attachments

• E152097E-19B1-46B8-8225-7FBB2634083F.jpeg
    E152097E-19B1-46B8-8225-7FBB2634083F.jpeg
    700.7 KB · Views: 53
  • E52A9FAB-01BE-46C7-AD9A-8307760D2F52.jpeg
    E52A9FAB-01BE-46C7-AD9A-8307760D2F52.jpeg
    520.4 KB · Views: 52
  • C2EEB48D-B519-47D0-9B8A-BF8854CD2B6E.jpeg
    C2EEB48D-B519-47D0-9B8A-BF8854CD2B6E.jpeg
    716.5 KB · Views: 52
It’s a 4’x8 ‘ coop and run. It’s smaller than I would prefer but we are going to let them free range when we are around. I have also been trying to increase ventilation and decrease drafts since we live in Michigan we have significant temp either swings. Hopefully in the next year we will be able to build a lager coop and run.

I am planning on adding the double latches for doors and washers to further secure hardware cloth.

What's the size of the hardware cloth? I've read only 1/4" and smaller will prevent tiny paws from reaching through. After my coop barely survived a bear attack I also set up electric surrounding the coop that I turn on at night. The bear has returned twice and not touched my coop so I can only assume it is working. My only regret is not getting electric sooner. It's your first and most important line of defense (in my new humble opinion) for any chicken coop. Hopefully in most cases the shock would scare away most curious critters.

You should add a floor over that hardware cloth, and then bedding, because wire is not good footing for the chickens,and they want to dig and scratch through stuff. Plywood? Rubber stall mats? Sheet vinyl flooring?
Be ready to shovel snow off that roof, it really doesn't have enough slope, at least that's how it looks.
It's a good start though, good for you!
Mary

Thanks for all the tips. I am leaning toward electric for piece of mind! I am planning on covering the floor with a layer of stone and then mixed grit sand. (Our soil here is basically sand anyway) I do have some rubber mats too. I hear ya on the roof slope 🤦‍♀️ It also does not allow vents to be as high as I would like either.

What's the size of the hardware cloth? I've read only 1/4" and smaller will prevent tiny paws from reaching through. After my coop barely survived a bear attack I also set up electric surrounding the coop that I turn on at night. The bear has returned twice and not touched my coop so I can only assume it is working. My only regret is not getting electric sooner. It's your first and most important line of defense (in my new humble opinion) for any chicken coop. Hopefully in most cases the shock would scare away most curious critters.

It’s only 1/2”

If you could consider the entire structure as their coop, and have the door (where is it?) to the 'run' open all the time, then there's more space, ventilation, and in winter, rolled vinyl sheeting over the lower walls will make it comfortable.
That roof is concerning; is it framed with snow load in mind? Either fix it now, or get out there at 2am during snowstorms this winter...
Mary

Back
Top Bottom