capebird

Songster
12 Years
Apr 13, 2011
Cape Cod
For my new coop I'm building I've got the nest/egg box located
on the outside of the coop with an exterior lid/door to gather the
eggs. I'd like to hear what kind of latch others use to prevent
raccoons from gaining access to the coop through the egg box.

Thanks

one other question: I'm planning on burying wire mesh about
6 inches under the dirt floor of the run. Would I be safe to use
1 inch by 2 inch or maybe even 2 inch x 4 inch welded wire mesh?

Again, thanks.

I used bolt locks and simple locks on each of my exterior nest boxes. I figure racoons can usually figure out and manipulate most single latches but when you put in two latches they get a bit stumped.

I have a hook type fastener (scr door hook) on each end of the egg door, PLUS a HASP and lock. I've had raccoons problems in the past, they can be very clever and manipulate most latches.

I have clasp lock setups on mine I just built with padlocks, luckily I dont have neighbors to bother with so I hang the key under the roofline of the coop and that way I dont have to go back in the house when I forget the key lol. I learned my lesson with locks because the coons around here kept accessing our rabbit hutches and killing rabbits, no matter how many different lock types I tried the little buggers would figure it out. They have yet to take the key off the nail and open the masterlock though lol

Just remember if you have a wide box that you need to lock both ends, if you padlock it at one end or the center only they can lift it enough to sneak in, you dont want to open that sucker up in the morning to collect eggs just to find a coon that has been "cooped" up all night lol

I use 2 hasp latches with clips in them

82702_nest_box.jpg

Back
Top Bottom