Raccoon-proof gate latch?

offdagridsoon

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 20, 2009
Ontario
Hi guys,

We've built a large outdoor run for our birds after a fox scare the day before yesterday, and are mulling over ideas for the gate we want to install in it. Does anyone have any suggestions for a gate latch (or latches) that is impervious to the devious and clever little hands of the raccoons we have around here? We don't want to take any chances! The fence is made of welded wire, and uses t-posts as supports. We were thinking the gate would have to consist of wooden posts in between two of the t-posts, and the gate would be a wood frame on hinges, with either the cut-out welded wire or some hardware cloth covering the rest of the gate.
What do you all use?
smile.png

I have not had a raccoon open a latched fence even though I think they could.
One thing you should think about is the climbing thing. Raccoons climb.
That I have had them do. Right up and over into the run.
rant.gif

Our run is covered and yes racoons can open most latches. Given enough time they will eventually figure them out.

We have locks in our latches. They are the ones that self close (I have to be careful not to lock myself in!) And they have a hole so that a lock can slide through. We use it. I keep a key nearby and several copies in the house.

We also covered our run after hawks discovered the chicks the very first day I put them in.

Quote:
Did you cover your run with chickenwire, or with something else? If we end up covering the run, it would be nice if we could do it safely and, hopefully, at least somewhat economically...

Back
Top Bottom