1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Raccoon-proof latches?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Agilityscots, Jun 24, 2007.

1. Agilityscots

Agilityscots Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2007
    Central Ohio
    As we construct our coop, I'm wondering...what are the best raccoon-proof latches for windows, doors and egg doors? Aren't they really good at opening things with their paws?

Amy

2. andischickenfarm

andischickenfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2007
    N.E. Oklahoma
    I've never had coon problems, but I do have little cousin problems! [​IMG] So the latches I use to keep them out of my baby chicks is the one where it folds down over a thing that turns so they would have to turn it then lift the latch. You can also put a lock through it too! Hope this helps.

Andi

3. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    I have padlocks on all my coops because of coons. It is the only thing I know of they couldn't open.

4. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Quote:Using padlocks here also. "Better safe than sorry" is our thinking.

Dawn

5. khable

khable Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2007
    LaGrangeville, NY
    We use the locks too, not only for critters... but also for my 3 year old [​IMG],

I ended up getting "Backpack Locks" they are smallish and sturdy. They have the 3 dials on the side that you roll to the number and you can select your own code. So we set all locks to the same number. [​IMG] Very easy to use! And not as expensive as full size locks! Which is a plus when you lock down all doors!

6. barg

barg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    A set of 6 of these cost about 10 dollars, they all use the same key and the set comes with 6 identical keys.
    So far I only use one of the keys for the 5 locks I'm useing.
    Oh and Btw, there has been a racoon in my yard near the coop on several nights recently, Knock wood!

Last edited: Oct 29, 2007
  7. Agilityscots

Agilityscots Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2007
    Central Ohio
    Wow, I'm so glad I asked this question...I knew raccoons were good with their cute little paws, but I had no idea actual locks would be the best way to go! We definitely have raccoons here, since we live in a semi-rural area, so I don't want to take any chances with my girls. Thanks so much, everyone!

Amy

8. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    Padlocks here too !

9. Gracefulspice

Gracefulspice Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Pa
    Wow...I never knew that Racoons could open a latch. I will be getting one of those padlocks for it today. Thanks for the Thread [​IMG] I just love BYC [​IMG]

10. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Quote:Make sure you do a key count every day. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by