Raccoon Proof Pop Doors (we hope) - Pics

FrontPorchIndiana

Songster
11 Years
Mar 8, 2008
Indiana
By Jove, I think we've got it!

By day it's an ordinary pop door held open with a simple hook and eye fastener.

DSC_5046.jpg

But when night falls, the door closes...

DSC_5045.jpg

and the gang plank hinges up sealing off and blocking access to the door. A cup hook on the end of the plank is tightly hooked to a chain five feet off the ground.

DSC_5047.jpg

If the raccoon is tall enough and smart enough to figure that out, he can take how ever many of the sacrificial chickens he would like and move on down the road!
ep.gif
c

Last edited:
Hey that is such a great Idea!!!!!!! I always build my trap locks on the inside of the coop. So basically a coon would have to come in through the human door to get in. Deadbolt, locked regular...... you get the idea!
smile.png

Thats fabulous. Thanks for sharing. We have two chicken pens, and what my husband did when he built them, he put a door that slides up. He tied a strong string to the top of the door, and stretch it to a nail on the outside around the corner of the coop.
smile.png
So in the evening when the chickens go inside, he takes the string off the nail and lowers the door shut. I just have to learn how to post pics on here.
smile.png

I had my hubby put a slide bolt on the inside of the pop door so you lock it from the inside at night and then shut and lock the people door to the coop. Unless the girls learn how to slide the bolt the coons can not get it open either. Trudy
tongue2.gif
tongue2.gif
tongue2.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

Nicely done! We're so concerned about raccoons that we built an indoor and outdoor chicken door. At night the latches on the inside door are deadbolts not reachable from the outside. It's always worth outsmarting the predators!
lol.png

About 5 years ago when I was first getting into chickens I saw a really cool design for a secure access door. Basically when you let the door down a pin fell down into a slot preventing anything from being able to push the door in or pull open from the outside. Pulling the cable lifted the pin and the door at the same time. Basically one motion would either close and lock the door or unlock and open the door.

I tried searching for the coop and image online but can't find it anywhere. Maybe I'll luck out and someone will remember that design and post a link to it. (or build it and post pics)

Back
Top Bottom