Raccoon Proof Pop Doors (we hope) - Pics

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by FrontPorchIndiana, May 31, 2008.

1. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    By Jove, I think we've got it!

By day it's an ordinary pop door held open with a simple hook and eye fastener.

[​IMG]

But when night falls, the door closes...

[​IMG]

and the gang plank hinges up sealing off and blocking access to the door. A cup hook on the end of the plank is tightly hooked to a chain five feet off the ground.

[​IMG]

If the raccoon is tall enough and smart enough to figure that out, he can take how ever many of the sacrificial chickens he would like and move on down the road! [​IMG]c

Last edited: Jun 1, 2008
  2. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Oh hey, that's really cool!! Great job [​IMG]

3. GopherBoyFarms

GopherBoyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    Vancouver WA
    GREAT idea!!! gotta show this to GopherBoy!

~Tiff~

4. lovethechickens

lovethechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2008
    Antioch California
    Hey that is such a great Idea!!!!!!! I always build my trap locks on the inside of the coop. So basically a coon would have to come in through the human door to get in. Deadbolt, locked regular...... you get the idea![​IMG]

5. CathyB

CathyB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    PA
    Great idea! Have to show my DH!

6. ChickNLittle

ChickNLittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Folkston, Georgia
    Thats fabulous. Thanks for sharing. We have two chicken pens, and what my husband did when he built them, he put a door that slides up. He tied a strong string to the top of the door, and stretch it to a nail on the outside around the corner of the coop. [​IMG] So in the evening when the chickens go inside, he takes the string off the nail and lowers the door shut. I just have to learn how to post pics on here. [​IMG]

7. CarlaRiggs

CarlaRiggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Very clever, Christine.... great idea! Thanks for sharing and giving us photographs. [​IMG]

Carla

8. lovemychicks9

lovemychicks9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    I had my hubby put a slide bolt on the inside of the pop door so you lock it from the inside at night and then shut and lock the people door to the coop. Unless the girls learn how to slide the bolt the coons can not get it open either. Trudy [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Nicely done! We're so concerned about raccoons that we built an indoor and outdoor chicken door. At night the latches on the inside door are deadbolts not reachable from the outside. It's always worth outsmarting the predators![​IMG]

10. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

About 5 years ago when I was first getting into chickens I saw a really cool design for a secure access door. Basically when you let the door down a pin fell down into a slot preventing anything from being able to push the door in or pull open from the outside. Pulling the cable lifted the pin and the door at the same time. Basically one motion would either close and lock the door or unlock and open the door.

I tried searching for the coop and image online but can't find it anywhere. Maybe I'll luck out and someone will remember that design and post a link to it. (or build it and post pics)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by