1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Raccoon repellent?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Jeffross1968, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Anyone used any of the store bought or home recipes? I have one sneaking around my yard by the coop/run right now, and probably for the last 3 or 4 nights (found feeders and waterers that were right next to the run fence knocked over by reaching in...have since moved them). Saw it an hour ago. Unfortunately, won't be getting any traps (or hey, a gun!) until after Christmas. So...would like to figure something out....

2. madmantrapper

madmantrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Maryland
    Coons are not afraid of much of anything. If you are in an urban area they might not even be afraid of you. I know folks have tried all different kinds of scents with no luck. I am a professional wildlife control operator and a trap is your best bet and second is shooting them. TSC has a cheap trap for about $30.

3. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    a .22 should do the trick

4. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Quote:

Sorry to sound harsh but this is not something you wait to buy. Unless of course your willing to sacrifice a chicken or two in the mean time. No coon would be seen for 3 or4 nights near my chickens. To do so is just plain asking for trouble.

I hope you do something very soon,

Rancher

5. hooliganfriend

hooliganfriend New Egg

Nov 8, 2011
    My two big German Shepherd dogs do the trick quite well. They are very protective of the family and keep everything out of the yard. The chickens are definitely part of the family. I recommend a good dog or two. Whatever you do,don't wait,and make sure your coop is completely secure, friends have lost entire flocks through what you would think is a gap or crack too small for anything to get into.

6. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Quote:It's something you wait for when you are already having trouble doing Christmas for your kids [​IMG]

I'm probably overreacting. The coop itself is secure, and everyone is locked down tight at night. However, the run is not. But frankly, I just don't feel comfortable having a coon or anything else walking the fence every night, testing my defenses.

7. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:X2, and what Rancher said.

The dogs are only really helpful if they live outside, though. A back-up that may buy you more time if something DOES happen prior to your new purchase: a baby monitor.

If you have one of those going, you can hear if something starts, but again, it's not until a hen is picked up and carried off that she starts to yell, so you have little time. I forgot the pop door one night. My neighbors are lucky I was wearing pajamas as I went screaming out into the pitch, yelling, "NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!" like a banshee. The raccoon dropped my hen as it ran over the fence. I'm lucking it wasn't dining in...

8. hemet dennis

hemet dennis Chillin' With My Peeps

Sometimes your animal control will let you use a trap or maybe someone close to you never hurts to ask

9. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Electric fence around your run could be helpful.

10. The Yakima Kid

The Yakima Kid Cirque des Poulets

Bring in the feeders from the run; the feed as well as the chickens will attract raccoons and other creatures. I never leave feed out overnight in an area that isn't secure.

Talk to animal control or Fish and Game about borrowing a trap.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by