1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Raccoon repelllants

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by egyptchick, Jun 3, 2011.

1. egyptchick

egyptchick Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2011
    Ontario
    As anyone uses raccoon repellant around their coop and run? Has it worked and what did you ise?

2. DinosRBirds

DinosRBirds Hunted by Moonlight

Feb 1, 2011
    Lake Huron,MI
    shot*gun -- works and repells raccoons, rats, deer, voles, shrews, cats, exct.

3. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    I agree with DinosRbirds. Shoot or trap and kill.

Or (I hope I don't disgust anyone) have someone (Man or boys) pee around the coop. I haven't tried it myself but hear that it is just about foolproof.

4. pharr389

pharr389 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2007
    southeast georgia
    Quote:Yep, that's what I use! [​IMG]

5. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:suburban myth I have won a bet by not using any bait and catching a possum just by peeing on the trap, I have used fox urine to "bait" a rabbit box with salt block will work in a rabbit box as well

6. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

The only repellant that I've seen work besides firepower is electric fence! Once he hits a good hot fence, the coon with his new Phylis Diller hairdo, complete with bottle brush tail, tend to touch back to earth about a couple counties away and stay there

And it's fun to see [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. egyptchick

egyptchick Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2011
    Ontario
    I have had my husband pee around the coop but it has only been a day so his contribution has been small so far. i am not sure yet if the raccoons have been near the coop but i know they have been around the yard.

i was thinking of trying ammonia but i was concerned aboit the chickens sensitivity to it. around the outside of the coop not.where they would have contact.

anyone ever try a solar electric fence? We are off grid with a small system so every thing that can run seperate needs to.

8. mjuenem

mjuenem Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Putnam Co.
    Solar electric fence is the same as a battery operated electric fence. The solar just charges the battery.

9. Two Creeks Farm

Two Creeks Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    LOL, urine only works if the target believes you are a predator .....coon is more likely to roll in human urine before eating the head off your chicken!

Bottle of Coyote urine might help a little, ofcourse if yotes are in your area they will be right behind the coon for a chicken dinner.

btw, wife saw a yote cross our road today with a kitty cat in its mouth. Time to break out the calls and get some yotes down!

10. JP101010

JP101010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Electric fence is the only true way to stop those filthy , putrid creatures-In my opinion anyways.
    with as much persistence as they have, plus they have thumbs - I doubt you will find a better solution
    the E fence is cheap to run- for me i noticed maybe a $5 difference running it 24 hours a day- in your situation it would be on during the night so much cheaper , affordable to buy if you go to an auction or watch Craigslist- very easy to setup compared to regular fencing-and most of alll extremely effective [​IMG] !!!!
    My E fence was the best investment for my animals- i have just a single low lying strand and i think the raccoons can sense it because i have waited patiently all this time and havent been lucky enough to see or hear a predator zapped [​IMG] - i live in the woods with coyotes raccoons bears and everything else that eats chickens , so i had no choice but to beef up security

I dont think guns will help because it would be really hard to sleep outside everynight in camo with a loaded shotgun [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by