Raccoon running across the road in broad daylight...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Robin'sBrood, Nov 27, 2010.

1. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    I thought there was a big cat running across the road, until I got close enough to see that it was a raccoon. Think it was rabid? [​IMG]

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Robin'sBrood :

I thought there was a big cat running across the road, until I got close enough to see that it was a raccoon. Think it was rabid? [​IMG]

Possibly. Could also have been ousted from den by another racoon. This time of year when squables within litters startup and mom is needing to get ready for upcoming mating season. This begining of time I expect to hear them fighting even during daylight.​

3. Attila the Hen

Attila the Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Blue Ridge GA
    I have seen a family of racoons cross the street in broad daylight in Tampa. I have also seen a very sick looking racoon crossing the road in GA. Someone said it could have had another disease because it ran away from me. In short, I have seen non rabid racoons in daylight.

4. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    probably nothing to worry about. another animal could have spooked it.

5. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    It had to get to the other side. Just because you happen to see a coon, skunk or possum in the daylight doesn't mean they're rabid. The move around at any time of day, especially this time of year when they need more food.

6. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Just don't touch it...

7. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Quote:X2

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I don't know where you are in N.C. but in the western part rabies has be rampant in racoons so be very careful

9. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    No worries, I was driving so there was no danger of me getting close enough to get bitten. It was just weird to see a big ol' coon running across the road. It went into a church yard so I pulled in and watched it until it got near some woods. It kept its nose to the ground and never acted like it even noticed anything around it. I sure hope it wasn't rabid.

Just curious, do raccoons have babies year round?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by