1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Raccoon showed up today!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by 2DogsCoop, Jun 11, 2011.

1. 2DogsCoop

2DogsCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2011
    Naples, FL
    Well this is the first time we have seen a raccoon on our property since we bought it 6 years ago. I guess if you get chickens they will come. I was getting ready to eat my pancakes when my wife yelled there was a raccoon by the coop. I jumped up and ran to get me pellet gun (we can't use anything larger where I live or I would have used my 300 MAG). Got my gun then couldn't find the pellets. Finally found them and headed out the front door for a snipper attack. Got to the corner of the house gun was pumped and ready, put the cross hairs on the raccoon, controlled my breathing and slowly pulled the trigger! Pop, the coon jumps about 2 feet off the ground and turns and stares in my direction. It gave me this, did you really just shoot me with a pellet gun, why you son of a b&*tch. Meanwhile as the coon is staring at me and I try to reload quickly to get another shot off. It was decision time for the coon, stay and fight or flee, it choose to flee with just a bruised ego. If it is back tomorrow I am using my compound bow, I know that will finish it off.

2. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Atleast you got some lead in him.

3. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I bet you will have your bow ready just in case. There is a good chance you scared that one off for good, but chances are there are others lurking. We rarely see raccoon until they end up in one of our traps.

4. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

You didn't run him off, his just a little smarter and may bring friends. Did he get past you coon defence or do you need to upgrade?

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You've gotta whup that boy - darn raccoons really have attitude. They stand their ground out here too - like askin "you wanta piece of me?" They probably know we can't shoot 'em - residential area. If the punks that have been trying out their fireworks since New Years eve, would toss one in the coon's direction - bet his attitude would change pronto.

6. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    I've heard those things can attack humans. Make sure you have a backup plan.

7. turbodog

turbodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Independence, La.
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. ChickcrazyCharlie

ChickcrazyCharlie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    Leesburg, FL
    Hey 2dogs, better get you a live trap. That coon will be back. Florida is covered up in coons. Good luck.

9. 2DogsCoop

2DogsCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2011
    Naples, FL
    I am going to barrow a trap from my work and set it up. I don't think they can get into the run or coop, I have both chicken wire all around and on top and welded wire around the bottom that is buried about a foot and half down under ground. We close the coop up every night so the girls are nice and safe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by