1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Raccoon spotted in my pasture

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by mstafford75, May 24, 2016.

1. mstafford75

mstafford75 Just Hatched

May 17, 2016
    Longmont, Colorado
    Hi All,

Yesterday afternoon my son spotted a raccoon in the pasture across from my chicken coop. He was apparently going thru my compost and near our garden. I have not seen any signs of digging around my coop. I just want to be proactive to keep him out of my place. I took my black lab out with my after dusk and walked around the perimeter banging on the ground and fence just to let him know I am here and this is my place. We also have our in/outdoor cats that play around out back too. Is there anything I can maybe put down or spray around the coop to keep him away? I read ammonia or cayenne pepper? Anyone else have any other ideas? I keep the hens food locked up. Nothing else besides what is in the garden is open. Thanks in advance :)

2. mstafford75

mstafford75 Just Hatched

May 17, 2016
    Longmont, Colorado
    Forgot to add I have large rocks on the outside of my run. I also have some of those solar garden lights around the coop as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by