Raccoon story with a happy ending

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chickfamilyonsleepyhollow, Oct 16, 2011.

1. chickfamilyonsleepyhollow

chickfamilyonsleepyhollow Chillin' With My Peeps

We were out til after 9:00 PM .... a raccoon (or so we thought only one) was hanging on the wall inside the coop when we checked our five girls before closing the coop door ... needless to say our 17 yr old daughter and I were horrifed --- as murphy's law would have it my husband and son are camping this weekend [​IMG] ... we thought it best to try to take the girls out of the coop then try to figure on what to do next since the raccoon was more scared of us then we of him/her [​IMG] (it burrowed itself in a corner of the ceiling) as my daughter grabbed the second chicken---a second raccoon appeared from underneath the roost!!! Holy #*+# we were in a total panic [​IMG] it also ran up the wall and burrowed itself in a corner ... we then proceeded to get all five of our girls out of the coop [​IMG] those pesky raccoons would not come out of the coop even when we clapped pots n pans outside [​IMG] went to plan B and let them sleep in our bathroom .... just put them back in the run and all is okay [​IMG]

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Only problem is.. They will be back!!

3. chickfamilyonsleepyhollow

chickfamilyonsleepyhollow Chillin' With My Peeps

I know ... when hubby gets home we're gonna have to figure something out!!!!!

4. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Why do these things always happen when our husbands are away? i haven't had that specific thing happen, thank goodness, but have had to deal with other unpleasantries. Having chickens, and all the accompanying issues, really toughens you up!

5. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    so Happy you saved your girls! Sounds like it's time to do some trapping! Best of Luck!

6. Carolyn

Carolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    I know racoons are "nocturnal" but nocturnal animals can get insomnia and want a snack. Don't count on them waiting until night to come back. A live trap should work, but make sure it is a large one. And make sure you do not relocate them.

7. DinosRBirds

DinosRBirds Hunted by Moonlight

Feb 1, 2011
    Lake Huron,MI
    you [​IMG]
    me [​IMG]
    where theres one or two raccoons, theres bound to be a bunch of them. I'd suggest covering up any imperfection in the coop very well!

8. mrpekinduck

mrpekinduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Ducky Land!
    Glad your story had a happy ending but be careful cause they will be back. [​IMG]

9. BoldogKennel

BoldogKennel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    Washington State
    They WILL be back. And they WILL be back during the day. Proof coop. Get (good) dog.

10. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I am laughing pretty hard reading your story, I don't mean to be rude or anything I can just picture it. I'm glad you saved your animals. It may be too late now, but if not maybe you should close the coop.. trap the raccoons inside. Then when your husband and son come home they can grab the .22's, open the pop door and get some target practice in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by