Raccoon terror: suburbanites and city folk take note

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ivan3, Nov 14, 2010.

1. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Reporting from Alameda — Rachel Campos de Ivanov was walking her dog last Sunday night when she saw two eyes glowing in the darkness. Her border terrier barked furiously. The eyes came closer, and she discerned a masked furry critter.
    She turned away and her pursuer, a raccoon, charged. Then four other raccoons dropped from the trees and joined the chase.

Raccoon attacks on humans remain unusual, but people can get mauled when they feed the animals or intervene in fights with dogs, officials said. Raccoons also have been known to get dogs into swimming pools and drown them.
    "They grab them by the head and hold them under water," said Gary Beeman, a Northern California wildlife biologist who owns a pest control company, consults with the federal government and has trapped hundreds of raccoons. "Not just little dogs — Labrador size."

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-raccoon-20101114,0,872470.story

Always relocate these guys to your nearest Turkey Vulture Feeding Station​

2. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    For the last 60 years I have been hunting and trapping coons. People don't want to believe me when I tell them a 1 on 1 between a coon and a dog, most times the dog will lose. The coon will try its best to get away and will if given the chance. But if that coon decides to fight, it will win. More than once I had to go in the water to pull a coon off my dog. I was lucky in every case, no rabies, but I have a few scars. You can bet the farm, if a coon comes after a person, it does have rabies. This is true of most small wild life.

3. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    panner123,

Most folks won't believe a raccoon could do in a large dog unless they actually have seen it happen.

For folks out there that don't quite understand, the function of a dog when hunting raccoon it is to chase the raccoon up a tree and hold it there until the hunter gets there.

This allows the hunter to shoot the raccoon.

The dogs are not there to kill the raccoon.

4. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    A long time ago I had a Blue Heeler and a Doberman and we would hike together in the woods behind the house. They encountered a coon, and the Heeler wouldn't let it up the tree. Turned ugly real quick, and I was still too far away to do anything. I heard it though, and started running. The doberman listened when I called her off, the Heeler was "in the zone" and her ears weren't working. I grabbed a big rock and got the coon in the head with it so stop the attack. Felt real bad for the coon. The heeler was scratched up and required a vet visit, but no stitches. She could have lost an eye or worse. I hiked in the evening before they were usually out, coon must have woken up early. But it was not going to let those dogs have it easy, and it wasn't even that big. I have no doubt what a big full grown coon could do to a dog, after seeing what a yearling size could do with two dogs.

Couple of nights ago, dogs were barking. Went outside, and there were two coons in the trees above my chicken house. It was cloudy, and so the city lights bouncing off the clouds let me see what they were doing. Calmly eating nuts out of the tree! I'm ok with that. I doubt the coons here have had a taste of chicken since the early 1900's when this was a farming community.

I think I'll still reinforce the run and redesign the pop door since it isn't shutting as nicely as it was the day we built it. Those nuts will be gone soon enough and winter will set in and limit their food. They will be able to smell the feed, and they may try to break in for that and eat chickens instead.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by