1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Raccoon tore feathers out of one my chickens last night

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by urban-chick-mom, Mar 17, 2012.

1. urban-chick-mom

urban-chick-mom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2011
    Gig Harbor, WA
    3AM last night I wake up to my 3 chickens making lots of noise. We rushed outside and didn't see anything. I am assuming it was a raccoon. The area where they roost has a small door with plastic coverings over the openings. It is split into 4's. Anyway, 1 section of plastic was broken into. My White Leghorn had 2 big chunks of wing feathers torn out of her. This morning I went and brought her in the house. She has a nice size hole on her side where the feathers were torn out. Does anyone know what if anything I can do for her? Right now I have her in a box and it looks like she is sleeping. She is very quiet and I don't think she is in any pain. thanks!!!!

2. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    If it's red and you think the others will peck at the area, just spray it with blukote to mask the area. She's probably going to be in shock for a bit. A good dose of protein and some vitamins in her water are always a good thing!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by