Raccoon visit

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by jim-22, Oct 16, 2011.

1. jim-22

jim-22 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2011
    Cape Cod
    Heard a screaming racket from the coop last night around 11pm. A coon was inside the coop, just resting on the next box. Not afraid of me in the least. He did not touch the 10 RI reds in there. Maybe he was just too laid back and had enough food-- he opened up the feed can. Here is his picture, me on the outside and him inside.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  2. mrpekinduck

mrpekinduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Ducky Land!
    Did you kill him?

3. Capvin

Capvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Lake Placid, FL
    It looks like you have hardware cloth. So what I want to know is how a raccoon gets through hardware cloth?

4. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Holy smokes how did he get in? [​IMG]

5. OvertheHenHouse

OvertheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    San Diego
    Holy crud! How the heck did he get in, and how the heck did you get him out? I'd be glad he got the feed can and not the hens. Holy cow! And BTW, he looks waaaay to comfortable in there...

6. jim-22

Jan 4, 2011
    Cape Cod
    I have windows (11 of them) on all four sides of my coop with hardware cloth on the inside. He cannot get in that way. However, I have a dirt floor (I knew I was vulnerable here, especially in one low corner, but went several months without a problem). He dug in that way. Interestingly, he did not need a big hole, only a couple of inches of vertical height. There was no easy way to get him out without a potential nasty confrontation because he was confined in a dark place. I decided to open the coop door and make a bunch of noise and shine a flashlight in his eyes. He still hung around for a half-hour or so, stretched out like he owned the place. Finally he left. Couple of things that could have helped me-- my perches are very high so he has to do some climbing to get the hens. Also I have a big-ass rooster which, although very friendly, I think would not go down without a fight. I was going to send him away but maybe now he should stay! So far he does not crow until a civilized hour. I don't mind him but I have to be considerate of my neighbors.

Yesterday afternoon I got a chance to inspect the place where the raccoon crawled in through the dirt. I closed that corner up good with hardware cloth. Last night he returned. I did not see or hear him (no noise from the chickens) but I saw the digging he did and the hardware cloth stopped him. Now I believe I will need to put hardware cloth around the whole perimeter of the coop.

BTW my birds free range all day. A couple of times I forgot to close the coop door-- you now how that goes-- and never had a problem. I think I was lucky. Now I need to be more careful.

7. Bridgemoof

Bridgemoof Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2011
    A raccoon-chicken massacre can be an awful thing! It happened to me in a place where I thought my chickens were safe. They crawled in under the eaves where I didn't realize there was a gap. The really terrible thing was for the poor chickens who were still cooped up in there had to watch their friends get torn up. Poor chickies had no escape. They would never go back in that hen house. I had to make a new one!

I always think they are in a safe place now, but now I have to go check my floors because I know there are holes in the dirt already. [​IMG]

I'm so glad your chickens are safe Jim!

8. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:Good Idea. I would of disposed of the bandit. I'd set a trap you never know when he will show up again. He might get them while their ranging I certainly hope not but you never know.

9. OvertheHenHouse

OvertheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    San Diego
    Hardware cloth rocks. I'm so glad your hens weren't attacked! And it's true what 7L Farm says - I've seen raccoons out during daylight hours so I don't believe your hens are safe freeranging while he's around...

10. jim-22

Jan 4, 2011
    Cape Cod
    OK, I bought a trap today and I am setting it out tonight. Going to declare war on them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by