Raccoon "Watchdog"?

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by ChickenBoy99, Apr 17, 2012.

1. ChickenBoy99

ChickenBoy99 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2012
    West michigan
    [​IMG]

One morning I looked outside and saw a raccoon trotting down the hill towards our barn. So as I went to chase it away (with a gun), I saw one of our free range guines run out of the barn doing that squaking thing they do and made the raccoon hightail it out of there. Is that normal, or is it just that guinea. (By the way the guinea hen had keets.)

2. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    In my experience its a one time deal. Guinea encounters with coons usually end up with the guinea being dinner. Give her a well done for me.

3. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Don't know about Racoons but 1 of my guinea's ran screaming a 2 dogs that showed up here yesterday. Luckily it escaped. What the heck do they think? [​IMG]

4. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Seen it here more than once and my guineas have never been hurt, the coons just want to get away cause their cover has been blown and they know the dogs will come next.
    [​IMG]

5. YellowChicken

YellowChicken Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2012
    The raccoons around here are active at night. Would the guineas alert us at night or are they blind like chickens at night?

6. JLeigh

JLeigh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    North Georgia
    Racoons are one of Guineas top predators. I would not rely on them for "racoon control."

7. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    Guineas are completely blind at night, they typically won't alert to raccoons or any other night time predator until panic sets it during an attack... and by them you've probably already lost at least one bird (if you are lucky enough to hear the commotion).

8. ChickenBoy99

Apr 17, 2012
    West michigan
    We had 6 Guineas but unfortanatly we lost them to raccoons. (We shot 36 raccoons that summer). No we have 2 full grown and 12 keets.

9. YellowChicken

YellowChicken Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2012
    Wow, 36! You must live in the deep south? Actually, we haven't seen any lately. Neighbor got a pyrenees dog and he might have run them off. I need to find a LGD for 4-footed (and 2- footed) critters.

10. ChickenBoy99

Apr 17, 2012
    West michigan
    No, I live in west michigan.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by