Raccoon!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by OreoPlymothRock, Apr 4, 2012.

1. OreoPlymothRock

OreoPlymothRock Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    Florida
    Hi everyone! i need help! A raccoon keeps trying to eat my barred rocks. I tried everything. I have a trap set up outside and is wondering if i can get rid of it some other way.

Thanks

2. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    Make sure you have a strong pen that is predator proof. Have you ever considered shooting it, or getting Fish and Game to come out and get it? And also, [​IMG] from the chicken coop!

3. OreoPlymothRock

OreoPlymothRock Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    Florida
    thanks

4. GrandmaChickie

GrandmaChickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2012
    I'm going to guess from your post that the raccoon is NOT actually getting any chickens...? If not, it should give up and go away. We keep our chicken coop about 30 yards from the dog pen--the dogs scare away just about anything and let us know if something's prowling around the chickens at night. Also, my husband built the freakin' Ft. Knox of chicken coops. The door of the run locks, there is two layers of wire around all the sides and one running under the bottom to prevent digging in, and the door of the hen-house where they sleep every night locks! I've never even found a snake in there! I've only lost one hen to a fox, and that was in the middle of the day when they were out foraging. I know stay outside with them anytime I let them out of the coop.

5. GrandmaChickie

GrandmaChickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2012
    Oh, I should add that the hen house is set up off the ground, too. Adds that little bit of extra security.

6. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG]

Sorry, JerseyGiantfolk, but "predator proof" makes me laugh. No such thing. Given the proper motivation (starvation) a predator will eventually get through just about anything. The goal is to (as GrandmaChickie put it) make it hard enough to get them to give up and go elsewhere. In most cases, there is an alternate food source that is "easier".

That said, our turkey (Jimmy) is an awesome guardian.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  7. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

8. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

.22 should work if a trap doesn't.

9. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

10. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. Use peanut butter, sadines or tuna work best in a trap. Hopefully you don't have a lot of cats because you will catch them also. If that doesn't work, sit and wait on it with a 22 rifle. Coons are nasty critters and will not stop looking for a way to get in. :he

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by