Raccoons and chickens and disease

Grandma53

Hatching
8 Years
Jun 12, 2011
My question is that we just discovered raccoons living in the trees above our chicken yard. We let our chickens free range during the day when we are at home. Of course, right now they are restricted to their yard since we found the raccoons. I was reading about a "raccoon latrine" and was concerned if our chickens found the raccoon latrine and if they accidently ate some of the feces, could worms transfer from the chicken to the eggs?

Our chickens aren't showing any signs of illness and my husband is going to be looking for the raccoon latrine today. We are hoping that they made their latrine in the trees rather than in the ground.

If anyone has any suggestions or knows about this situation, your help is appreciated. For obvious reasons we don't want to eat the eggs if this is a problem or concern. I've searched the internet and can't seem to find any information. We try to do everything organic and have a backyard flock in a typical suburban lot.

Thanks to anyone that can offer help.

Try Google you can find all you need to know..
ya.gif
Thanks, heather at Flying H Farms

There is a roundworm in coon manure that can be transmitted to humans with deadly consequences. Please read about "baylisacaris procyonis."
It's imperative to prevent coons coming anywhere near your chickens by whatever means necessary.

It's imperative to prevent coons coming anywhere near your chickens by whatever means necessary.

thumbsup.gif

The coons making your chickens sick is just one risk, they also are quite intent on makeing your chickens dinner and don't mind a bit to transfer other diseases like rabies and distemper to pets and/or kids.

Agree 100% Do what ever you can within your interpretation of the local laws to get rid of them. Some local laws are making it quite difficult and often expensive get rid of such vermin within the confines of the system.​

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom