Raccoons and Dogs.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by sbpdx, Jan 6, 2013.

1. sbpdx

sbpdx New Egg

Jan 4, 2013
    Garden Home, Oregon
    Over the last few years I have lost one chicken to a hawk and another to the neighbor's outdoor cat.
    I live in Garden Home, Oregon (a small village in SW Portland) and there are a number of raccoons in the neighborhood.

These raccoons frequently go foraging out of the creek across the street and into the neighborhood. Often they'll trek between my house and the neighbor's house on their way to whatever it is they do all night long.

I also have two large dogs (Rottie/Lab and a purebred lab) who spend most of their days in the yard, but are inside at night.

In the 3 years I've had birds (I now have three chickens and three ducks) these raccoons have never caused any troubles. I have a hard time believing that they just haven't figured out that there are delicious birds asleep in my backyard. They are pretty clever animals, so I am assuming there is some other factor at work here.

Could it be that they smell the dogs and aren't interested in taking the chance of venturing into my yard?

2. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Could be that, or maybe your chicken coop is close enough to your house and the Coons don't want to go near your house! Whatever it is, it is good to hear that you haven't had trouble with Coons, they can be real pests!!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  3. animals1981

animals1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Toronto
    coons are scared of big dogs most of the time

some dogs are coon friendly but if the dogs dont like coons and go after them the coons will be terrified of them

coons have more respect of big dogs than they do of coyotes because big dogs have no impulse control they just go right after a coon and will try to rip it up while coyotes think and use their brain they have no vet to stitch them up.

depends on the dogs tho some dogs are not aggressive and are cowardly if the coons figure this out they will use it to their advantage but if u have a nasty dangerous dog that will try to kill them they wont take that much of a risk. Unless they are 100 percent the dog is not there and are desperate.

Skunks are much bigger risk takers same with porcupines when it comes to dogs. Both are pretty stupid also. BOth usually win also though lol

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I have had raccoons go near my birds on established routes without causing trouble for months. Their travels overlapped with my dogs so simply presence of dogs did not repell. They also had what I think was a reliable food source in pond that kept them near woods which coons retreated to when dogs came over. Then they found eggs in nest which got them out where dog enountered them. If dog did not do his bit, the coons would likely have explored to go after chickens just a few feet above.

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I am convinced that my dogs - a lab and a golden retriever - are the only thing that keeps raccoons at a distance. Before them I had raccoon on my porch eating catfood...with the lights on in the house - with me inside and the T.V. on. They hate raccoons with a passion and will light into one if they get the chance. I am positive that is why they keep their distance.

6. LoneStarHen

LoneStarHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    When we moved to our home I had a time with the raccoons. The folks we bought our house from fed them. They almost wiped my flock out twice. I ended up getting outside dogs. Since then, no issues with raccoons at all.

7. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    I've never had an issue with raccoons and my birds, except for one time and that was my fault (didn't count them all after free ranging and one got left outside over night). I actually think one lives right next to the coops too (the trail of feathers led to a wood pile in my neighbors yard). My family and my neighbors have outdoor cats so we leave food out 24/7 which I think it what is keeping them from going after my chickens. My birds also share a building with my three goats who do not like anything coming into their pen except for the chickens. Our one coop is hardly predator proof either, so they could have easily taken them if they wanted. I will say we shoot the raccoons and opossums we find eating on our deck, so that may keep the population down around here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by