Raccoons and smelly traps.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by lindseythefork, Aug 9, 2011.

1. lindseythefork

lindseythefork Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Humboldt County, CA
    In my pursuit to trap the Lady Buffington-eating raccoon, I managed to nab a skunk. Needless to say, the trap REEKS. Will a raccoon still go in a stinky, skunky trap or will they stay away because of said smell? I've done just about as much hosing as one can do.. it's been a few days and the smell is still going strong.

2. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    Ouch. That stinks (sorry for the pun). [​IMG]

I was trying to get rid of our raccoon problem (three dispatched), and caught a young skunk. I couldn't convince my wife to get rid of it [​IMG] so I used a long pole to open the trap (quick set) and let it walk away into the woods. In hindsight, I should have got the gun and shot it after it was well clear of the trap, but it has been a week now and have not seen it since.

3. eggboy

eggboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    CA
    If you boil the trap in a pot of boiling water, I was told by a trapper, it will not smell like skunk anymore.

4. lindseythefork

lindseythefork Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Humboldt County, CA
    Quote:Well, that sounds logical, except that I would need a giant pot of water. Maybe pour boiling water on it?

5. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:there is a skunk "recipe" floating around online involving peroxide baking soda and dish detergent that will work much better for you

6. reptilepat

reptilepat Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2010
    the peroxide mixture will work great, my dog got sprayed last night and used it and worked right away.

7. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    Quote:+1 saw it on mythbusters so it must work right?

8. Ole and Lena

Ole and Lena Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Wright Co Minnesota
    Raccoons will not avoid skunk odor. Coyotes will actually be attracted to it. Over years of trapping, I mix my skunky traps in with the rest and have never noticed a difference. The skunk might even mask some of the human scent making catching the targets easier. The best way to dispatch a skunk in a trap is to shoot it in the heart/lung area with a low vel. 22 such as a CB or subsonic. Head/spine shots will make them spray. The lung shot USUALLY will not.

9. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:X2

Love your siggy our state flag has it ( almost) [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by