Raccoons are horrible-slaughtered 30+ birds

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by happyhensny, May 17, 2010.

1. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

[​IMG] [​IMG] Woke up this morning to a horrible massacre. Something got into our mini coop Sunday night and ate 9 out of 12 CM chicks. They were about 4 weeks out and we hatched them out from eggs from FlashPointFarm. I am so upset. The remaining 3 are keeping to themselves and seem in shock. I have them in with some other chicks they play with during the day so they are not alone. Please note : MAKE SURE windows are locked or have fencing over them, animals can open windows and get in. The chicks were in a temporaryt coop with a window that was not fenced in. We are building a new coop out of our pole barn so this was just for a month.

Update: Monday night the coons came back. My DH heard noise outside and we immediately went out. Found 2 Coons in the hoop house and they had already slaughtered 20 or so meat birds. There were 24 in there. All are lost. I cannot believe how horrible those creatures are. They kill everything, not just what they need. What a waste. I honestly would not have been so out for revenge I suppose if something cam and took one or two at a time but, in the course of 2 nights they killed over 30 animals. The trap will be set this evening.

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  2. brendapa

brendapa Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2010
    Chester County, PA
    I'm so sorry this happened to you.
    Raccoons are horrible, vicious creatures.
    They seem to just know when you've let your guard down.

Brenda

3. Chickens14

Chickens14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2009
    Ulster County NY
    [​IMG]
    I'm so sorry [​IMG]

4. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
  5. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    this is what I have been saying when people complain that I am killing a coon. They do kill for pleasure like cats and dont stop till they re bored or all are dead. I am so sorry it is horrible! I lost 12 ducks in one night last year.
    Catch them and send them to a watery grave, or shoot em. No mercy! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. happyhensny

Quote:It would have been a different story if they had only taken what they "needed" They did not, the birds were strewn all over 2 acres. It was absolutely unbelievable. I cannot believe a creature could do something like that. They will be eliminated. I am sorry if that offends anyone but if you saw what it looked like here I do not think anyone could argue.

7. buff

buff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Shippenville, PA
    I am so sorry to hear about your chickens, we had the same problem one time, we had to set an animal trap and then we did take care of them. Because if you don't they will just keep coming back.

8. rungirl

rungirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    Here's a tip for catching those raccoons... my dad uses a nice smelly can of cat food as bait in a hav-a-heart trap. Then takes the trap and submerges it in a water filled trash can to kill the varmit!

Good luck.

9. happyhensny

Quote:That sounds like a plan. I happen to have cats (cat food) and I live in town, no guns = water is quiet.

I am so sick over this. They just tore everyone apart. Just cannot get the sight of it out of my head. They must have been so frightened.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

10. turtlebird

turtlebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2009
    [​IMG] i am so sorry for your loss.
    Please be gentle with yourself and allow yourself time to heal. Experiencing traumatic events (discovering beloved birds strewn over acres) is an emotional injury, not unlike a broken arm. It hurts a lot at first, and the images are almost inescapable....but time heals.
    Be patient with yourself.....hopefully you will find yourself caring for lots of little fuzzy butts soon. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by