Raccoons are the devil

JoHennBock

Chirping
Apr 25, 2021
Lost two of my young pullets to a very crafty raccoon last night, and I am so bummed. Word to the wise, triple check every corner - even the highest points - for possible raccoon entry areas. If you think a space is too small or difficult to access for a raccoon, think again and seal it up. Five minutes of effort would have saved my birds if I had only been more observant. 🐤🐥😪

Lost two of my young pullets to a very crafty raccoon last night, and I am so bummed. Word to the wise, triple check every corner - even the highest points - for possible raccoon entry areas. If you think a space is too small or difficult to access for a raccoon, think again and seal it up. Five minutes of effort would have saved my birds if I had only been more observant. 🐤🐥😪
sorry for your loss :(

I am so sorry. Raccoons are awful. I got a bit lazy when remodeling my rabbit barn into a chicken shed, near the roof there was a gap about 1inch tall. It only took a raccoon one night to chew it into a hole the size of a dinner plate and wipe out my entire flock. It was sport kill too, he didn't eat any.
I always keep a live trap with sardines on the edges of my property, then I can catch them before they find the chickens.

I am so sorry. Raccoons are awful. I got a bit lazy when remodeling my rabbit barn into a chicken shed, near the roof there was a gap about 1inch tall. It only took a raccoon one night to chew it into a hole the size of a dinner plate and wipe out my entire flock. It was sport kill too, he didn't eat any.
I always keep a live trap with sardines on the edges of my property, then I can catch them before they find the chickens.
I am so sorry! I do feel grateful that my two OG hens and two other pullets are seemingly unharmed. I would be devastated to lose the whole flock, and I am sorry that happened to you. It is amazing how quickly we become attached to our birds. 🐥 We plan to have a live trap set out before the sun sets today.

Good idea JoHenn. Once a raccoon knows you have chickens, they will keep coming back. And they often kill just for "kicks". Be careful if you trap one - the larger males are viscious, and will try to get ahold of you. The rule of thumb for relocation distance is 10 miles, and some states have regulations about that. Here in Florida you need the property owners permission, and the property has to be at least 40 acres, I believe. That's why a .22 round is usually the method of relocation here, once you trap one.

I went to surrounding the chicken coops and yard with electrified poultry netting and fencing, and that finally kept the racoons out. It's the only thing that worked for me.

They are smart, and truly evil.

Sorry for your loss.

I had six lurking just before sunrise and now I don't want to sleep tonight.

Attachments

• 20210722_211123.jpg
    20210722_211123.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom