Raccoons ate my chickens alive

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Phage, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Phage

Phage Mad Scientist Premium Member

Aug 1, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    We were visited by the racoons last night. First time in a long time. Same MO as last year. They ate the pullets alive by tearing off parts, piece by piece through 1/2 and 3/4 inch wire cages. It was a totally disgusting mess. These were my young coronation sussex and crele polish hens that I had hatched for a friend.

Does anyone know how to get rid of them? I suspect they could rip the wire on the chicken and peacock coops if they realized it, or dig underneath them. I am no longer feeling any sort of kindness towards them". I know they are doing their thing but so do rats. I need drastic action to get rid of them.

2. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Livetraps are the most common and effective ways of dealing with them. Poisoning is illegal and dangerous.

The best way to protect your birds is to reinforce your coop and runs. It's easier to build a coonproof run than eliminate the coons. They are smart and strong but can't rip through 1/2" welded wire hardware cloth.

3. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    Yep, livetraps will do the trick. But you'll never get rid of the coons. Best thing you can do is plan for them to be present every night and protect your birds accordingly. A solid coop with solid wood floor is the best bet. Lock 'em up like Fort Knox.

4. BloominOrchid

BloominOrchid Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Worcester Township
    [​IMG] So sorry for your loss.
    I had a raccoon attack too, earlier this spring. Got half my flock.
    I had to to put up hardware wire too.
    Trapping them is endless. Best thing to do is keep them safe behind the hardware wire.
    Some times I put DE out at night to see where they are testing the coop, so I check that area too.
    Our current attacks are coming mid day and from above...coopers hawk. I just net my yard! [​IMG]
    But I feel ok letting the ladies out again.
    [​IMG]

5. BayouPoules

BayouPoules Chillin' With My Peeps

How awful! I am so sorry for your loss,.. DH says live traps will get rid on that one or two but more will come and the only way to be safe is to build a fortress,.. coons wear masks for a reason!

6. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    I trap and dispatch them. the problem is most folks stop after the first one the best way to do it is have 8-10 traps set so you catch them all in 2-3 nights instead of educating them as to what a trap is you will see a group or two go away and then it gets quiet here for 6-12 months in that time the runs and coop can be strengthened. molasses is a good bait as well as sweet rolls etc .I get most of my bait for coon at the day old bakery store dumpster for free. we have grocery stores that do this do.

7. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Quote:X2!

8. CT_Todd

CT_Todd Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2010
    Hebron, CT
    When you say 'wire cages' can you be more descriptive? Are you talking chicken wire or something stronger?

Sorry about your loss but I am curious at the strength of what you had that did not work.

9. Woods_Woman

Woods_Woman Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2009
    Oregon Rain Forest
    Had the same thing happen here too, pulled my chickens right thru the wire, I was saddened and sickened, I had to have my husband and dd clean up the mess for me. I have now reinforced the coop with hardware wire, sorry about your loss. My coons came early in the morning, not to mention they live in a large fir tree behind the coop. I have city chickens and the fir tree is in my neighbor's yard, my neighbor thinks it's great to feed raccoon's so that alone is a problem when she offers a free buffet.

10. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Quote:X2!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by