Raccoons during the day

Elwar

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 4, 2009
Hudson, FL
My chicks are about 5 weeks old so I sometimes put them out in the run during the day on the weekends to play (while periodically checking on them since I haven't secured the run for digging yet).

Yesterday they were out most of the day and I saw two young raccons at the edge of my fence checking things out. I was on my balcony so I yelled at them and they both ran up a tree. Then I remembered the bag of fireworks I bought...so I went down and lit a rather loud one and threw it in the general vicinity of where they were. Hopefully it helps scare them off. I hadn't really planned on raccoons during the day, though the run is fairly secure. The coop will be even more secure.

Also, I've seen a few possums right outside my back door at night, I opened the door the other night and tried to shoo a really big one away...it took a few steps, then turned around and hissed at me like he wasn't going to be shooed away by just anyone...then I shook my keys and he ran away...he ran into a hole underneath my detached deck.

And then there are the black snakes, huge spiders and tree frogs...

Needless to say, I have a whole lot of predators hanging out right where my chicken coop is going up. I might have to re-think putting up some electric fencing.

electric fence or hardware cloth - The coons here didnt even bother to dig the just pulled them out of the chicken wire. AS soon as we butcher our flock down I am going to purchase the hardware cloth and secure the run for the layers we got left so they can be out at night. having a dog also helps havnt had any more attacks since the dog has been tied on next to coop.

I agree. Get a dog. A cat will also help with snakes and other small predators. I have two very interested foxes getting braver everyday. Yesterday, I let my 2 terriers out the door and yelled, 'SIC 'EM'. Today one was back again so I'll have to start my dog patrol earlier. Point is that if they are curious enough, nocturnal hunters will come out during the day. Sad to say but when you are tasty just about all God's creatures, predators will always be around. By the way, I like your creative use of firecrackers!

We had an opossum in the coop two nights ago when we went out to lock them up for the night. It was feasting at the hanging feeder. We shouted at it. It merely gave as a sickly smile, as if to say, "whatever." Then we called our dog over, took hold of her collar and opened the door so she could see the critter. She started barking. The 'possum took one look and was out the back entrance in nothing flat. I learned a quick trick for shooing 'possums.

We had "feral" chickens living in our back yard in Charleston SC. One night I looked in the back yard to see some chicks lined up at the coop edge with a raccoon just sitting there picking each one out as it came up to the fencing. Learned then that chicks needed something smaller than chicken wire, even! Unfortunately, I didn't realize that even big chickens needed something; ours were in chain link fencing and were attacked by something that managed to pull heads through the fence and bite them off. Still trying to recover from that. We've wrapped the chain link with chicken wire and my husband is in the process of building a chicken tractor which will live inside an electric fence. Hopefully that will do it.

Ugh. I thought raccoons slept during the day and only came out at night.
sad.png

Ugh. I thought raccoons slept during the day and only came out at night.

Sometimes if its hot racoons will come out during the day. Or if they are hungry, or something bothered them, etc. Lol. as long as it isn't acting funny, there is nothing wrong with the little 'coon.​

Last edited:
Quote:
Ya, I have hardware cloth on the run and the coop. I wasn't sure if I'd need to have loops of electric wire zigzagging around my coop or not.

I have dogs but they stay inside. From the size and teeth of the possum that I saw, I'd say it would easily win a fight with my little terrier. He chases squirrels and lizards all the time but I don't think he'd know what to do if he ever caught one. He'd probably just want to play.

Quote:
Ya, I have hardware cloth on the run and the coop. I wasn't sure if I'd need to have loops of electric wire zigzagging around my coop or not.

I have dogs but they stay inside. From the size and teeth of the possum that I saw, I'd say it would easily win a fight with my little terrier. He chases squirrels and lizards all the time but I don't think he'd know what to do if he ever caught one. He'd probably just want to play.

That is always advisable when it is practical for the person
smile.png
A good coop and electric fencing is a great first line of defense... but be vigilant. Coon's are very crafty. If they weren't so lazy, I think they could be a bigger problem to the worlds food sources than rats and mice.

Back
Top Bottom