raccoons harrassing the chickens

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by anno, Jul 13, 2010.

1. anno

anno Hatching

May 28, 2009
    Any suggestions for keeping very brazen raccoons away from the coop?
    They got in one night because I foolishly left a window slightly open.
    One girl got badly scratched and shaken up. I've isolated her for the time being, especially because the other girls peck at her because she lost all the feathers on her back end. Poor thing...she just wants to get back to being a regular old chicken.

2. greathorse

greathorse Songster

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    A good dog

A good fence

A good electric fence

A good secure coop with heavy wire all around and covered over the top with some sort of situation to keep them from digging

A better memory LOL. This one (forgetting to close something) is my worst fear. I have forgotten a time or two but got away with it.

Good luck

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  3. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Songster

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    Get a trap ASAP.Those coon's or coon will kill your bird's and eat them.It's worth the investment trust me.I thought my big coop was secure and I lost 4 gorgeous Millie's and a BCWD in the last month.So far have trapped 2.Unless you can do the elec. fence and basicaly make a Fort Knox Coop they will work the wire and eventualy get in.My other half of coop luckily has HUGE rock's around bottom.Ya learn everyday something new though.We had pen run sturdy and stapled .I moved the 4 survivor's close to house coop for now.Can't afford to fix anything right now [​IMG]. Good luck.

4. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    Remove them or you will be feeding them
    I have alot of them in my area and its the only way to make them leave

5. oliviad51

oliviad51 Songster

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    I agree with dieselgrl48...get a trap. I have been setting the trap, and its crazy how many raccoons and opossums I have been catching. Marshmallows is the best bait. Its crazy how much they love those marshmallows.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: