Raccoons help!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by NathanielJS, Feb 19, 2016.

1. NathanielJS

NathanielJS Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2014
    Hello. I've kept chickens in Brooklyn for 11 years, and today for the first time ever I saw two raccoons in the chicken coop, trying to catch the chickens. My father heard them and chased off the 'coons, but now I need to raccoon proof their house. The fence is re-bar with chicken wire, closed at the top. The coop is a plastic garbage can shed. How can I keep a raccoon out of it?
    Also, I have a large squirrel trap, but I'm not sure it's big enough to catch one of these giant raccoons. I have until tonight to either raccoonproof the coop or move my chickens inside temporarily. Please help!

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Replace that chicken wire ASAP. Raccoons can shred through it in seconds. Either replace it with chain link or wrap the existing fence with hardware cloth.
    Chicken wire is great at keeping chickens in, but it won't keep predators out.
    Make sure that your latches aren't too simple. If a child can unlatch the coop, a coon can.

3. NathanielJS

May 4, 2014
    The wire is attached with zip ties. Will they hold the HC well enough to keep out the 'coons?

4. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    No. You will need metal fasteners.

5. NathanielJS

May 4, 2014
    Okay, I'll try that. How about the inner coop? It's one of these: [​IMG]
    All plastic, with a place for a padlock. Doors are pretty badly warped. Has one hole in it from a heat-lamp accident.

6. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Might be time to replace it. What did you do to vent that?

7. NathanielJS

May 4, 2014
    it doesn't shut well enough to warrant venting, at least I think.

8. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Then you definitely need to replace it with something that you can get ventilation into, without compromising their security.

9. NathanielJS

May 4, 2014
    okay. I rarely close it, and there are only six of them in the roomy shed, so I thought it was fine.

10. NathanielJS

May 4, 2014
    How far underground should the wire go? Also, I can't replace the wire for a few days. Do you think locking the coop at night will keep the chickens safe for the time being?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by