1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Raccoons? I have a situation!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Deanw, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Deanw

Deanw Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2007
    I had 5 RIR's until last night, this morning 4 were laying in the lot outside of there coop (headless). the other one is gone with no trace of where it went. Does this sound like a raccoon? Will they eat some heads then take one for the road? Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Dean

I posted this under the oppossum topic also, oops!

2. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    Sounds like a coon to me. I'm so sorry for your loss.

3. SandraChick

SandraChick Chillin' With My Peeps

I responded in the other post.....but here it is again

A raccoon is capable...sometimes weasels will do the same.

Sorry for your loss
    Sandra

4. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Dec 26, 2006
    California - SF East Bay
    I hate raccoons! One got a hold of my favorite hen. The head was still on, but I think I got home right after it happend because all the rest of my girls were still safe.

5. Deanw

Deanw Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2007
    Thank you for the replies, I am setting a conabear trap tonight, we'll see if the culprit returns. Even though all of them are dead, Whatever it is may return thinking there's another easy meal. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again

Dean

6. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I'm so sorry for your loss. My only predator loss was to a raccoon. They're tricky. I baited the trap with something sweet and some used litter from the coop. Course I didn't catch him, sort of glad because he wouldn't have fit anyways...He stood four feet tall on his back legs.[​IMG]
    You could bait your trap with some of the remains...

7. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Sounds like it could be a raccoon, but a neighbor told me once that weasels will tear the head off the bird, drink the blood, and leave the body. So far we have not had experience with a raccoon, but I have read both weasels and raccoons will devastate a flock and kill more than they need, just for the fun of it, I guess.

8. Deanw

Deanw Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2007
    Well I didn't catch the thing last night (unfortunately), But I did see what it is, and surprisingly enough it wasn't a coon it is a Red fox, and a big one at that. He jumped into the pen and my neighbor's son came in and said "something just jumped the fence and it had a big bushy tail", so immediately i'm thinking coon so I went out with a flashlight and there it was a huge fox, in there sniffing around trying to find it's kill from the night before. I must have spooked it because it didn't return, but hopefully I will catch it this weekend.

Oh and yes I did use the remains I put them back in the coop with the trap in front of the door, and it is still cold enough here in Colorado that they won't spoil yet.

9. soonerdog

soonerdog Chillin' With My Peeps

From what I've heard about trapping a fox.....it ain't going to happen! I hope you do get the rascal some way or the other. The other, is probably the only way you will get the fox. They say they are too smart for a trap. I guess I would still try the trap. I know how you feel about having your birds destroyed. I've been there! Goodluck. Johnny

10. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by