Raccoons Questions

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by enggass, Jun 24, 2011.

1. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Ok. First sign of a predator around 5:00am today... Heard a strange sound coming from my backyard and knew it was not a chicken. On closer inspection I saw a predator. Ran downstairs, went outside to find 2 raccoons(both rather small-about cat size or slightly bigger). One watching, the other retreating head first down the outside of the run on the 2"x4" metal fencing. Had I not gotten there in time, there was a place for it to get inside. I will fix that this evening.
    Questions:
    1. Once raccoons know about your chickens, will they be relentless and continue coming back and back and back...?
    2. Do they eat chickens?
    3. Had this raccoon gotten in what would have happened? Would it have killed al 5 of my full grown hens?

Any feedback regarding coon behavior and solutions appreciated!
    Thanks!

2. chicken crazed 1o1

chicken crazed 1o1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Dugald , Manitoba
    They DO Eat chickens as 2 days ago I went out side to my coop and when I got there my baby Silkie was gone and I think what happend is the raccoon coud not get in the coop so it grabbed my Silkie chicken by the neck. And pulled threw the wire and ran away and all i know is after that all that was was left was blood and feathers . [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  3. Fireman Farmer

Fireman Farmer Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2011
    EasternShore of Virginia
    Yes they eat chickens, and yes they will be back until the chickens are gone or you get rid of the raccoons. Raccoons will reach through the wire and try to grab at the birds even if they cant get through the wire. They will unlock latches on gates and doors, dig holes under fences even chew through plywood. I think they are one of the smartest predators out there, the problem solving skills and persistance they have are remarkable.

4. enggass

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    How common is it for them to climb wire fences?
    What is THE best way to get rid of them? Trap? Kill? If trapped, how far should I take them to relocate?
    And last, today I saw 2, how many can I expect in a clan or family?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  5. chimneyrock

chimneyrock Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    Just had one last weekend get in and kill/eat 3 of my hens! They are crafty little suckers...really look at your coop and ramp up protection as much as you can! The raccoon we had decided to hang out in the tree next to the coop(after its meal on MY hens...errr) and we were able to get rid of it the next morning! Good luck...and keep a close eye on things!

6. Rustywreck

Rustywreck Chillin' With My Peeps

Questions:
    1. Once raccoons know about your chickens, will they be relentless and continue coming back and back and back...?
    From my experience, yes they are relentless until the point at which cannot get at the chickens.

2. Do they eat chickens?
    Yes

3. Had this raccoon gotten in what would have happened? Would it have killed al 5 of my full grown hens?
    Hard to say for sure. I've had raccoons kill two at a time, and on other occasions kill one. They have never killed them all at one time.

7. enggass

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Thanks for the replies... Don't raccooons travel in packs/families? If I got rid of one, won't there be more? And last... If I make the chickens inaccessible, will they eventually give up?

8. jrudolph305

jrudolph305 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2009
    Meadows of Dan, Va
    Trap and Kill. Would not try to relocate.

9. enggass

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    That's my plan. Trap 'em then shoot 'em!

10. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Yes to all questions!!! You have a coon family and they must be trapped and disposed of. Do not relocate!!!........Pop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by