Raccoons?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by the1moe, Dec 19, 2008.

1. the1moe

the1moe Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2008
    I know we have raccoons in the area... in fact many of them... We have built a 36 x 36 pen with 1x4s on top and buried on the bottom. all enclosed with poultry fencing 6' high. My question is... will raccoons dig under the 1x4s to get into the pen? We also built the coop 12 x 12 with T-111 buried approx 6 inches and all ventilation holes covered with close mesh hardware fencing. Do you thing this will be OK?

2. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    They are not the only meanies. Weasels, possums and dogs. They dig like crazy. Also they can bite through chicken wire. I have their run double chicken wire at the bottom and bent to cover 2' outside flat covered in soil and grass. But I also close them in the chicken coop at night. This also has buried wire around part and cement around part. " Varments are crafty." I just don't think I could stand to go out and see a mess of my hens in the mornings. I live in the country and we have all kinds of things but most don't seem so far to try and get in during the day. Jean

3. CochinLover

CochinLover Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2008
    Oxnard,CA
    Ive raised racoons and they are very craft buggers. Yes i agree bury wire under ur pens and put some nice stinky plants next to ur pens. Or something that doesnt taste good. It will deter from digging. Racoons love a challenge so u must be crafty. becareful if put out goodies for ur bawks like left over food, cause that just gives even more of an incentive. Dont really know if it helps but if it does then yay!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by