1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Raccoons

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by goonahgurl, Apr 14, 2011.

1. goonahgurl

goonahgurl New Egg

Apr 14, 2011
    I have a ? Has anyone had problems with raccoons trying to get into their coops? If so what is the best way to get rid of them?[​IMG]

2. Momto3

Momto3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Northern Idaho
    Here is the easiest solution, a .22. Happy hunting. [​IMG] Seriously though, I would love to know too. We have a family of raccoons that lives under the neighbors barn. They keep trapping them, but they havent caught the daddy yet and he just keeps bringing new mommas home.

3. good ole boy

good ole boy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2011
    sharpsburg, kentucky
    well it is either live traps or like the other person said a good .22 rifle

4. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    I've had raccoon problems for years.

They will try & try to open the coop. The suckers will pull up a chair & work on the door all night!

There are lots of ways to get rid of them - but the more you kill the more fill the void unfortunately.

Get a live trap & a .22 - just a hand full of dog food works very well.

Get a big dog & tie it to the coop

some people use poison-but I'm afraid my neighbor dogs would get into it so I avoid.

In any case - they wont go away on their own.

Coons dont usually come out in the day time. So if you have a tight - secure coop - you dont' need to do anything really - just dont leave the coop open after dark.

5. mominoz

mominoz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    North Georgia
    Secure 6 sided night lockup (with dogwire and hardware cloth). Hotwire top and bottom. trap & shoot or drown in a trashcan(drop trap in). They are big carriers of rabies.

6. calista

calista Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2010
    Quote:I second this approach and would like to add that raccoon scat is dangerous. It carries parasites and could cause you problems if you're even close enough to sniff it.

Don't take any chances. Get rid of them.

7. zengrrl

zengrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Oakland County, MI
    Racoons are the number one chicken killer, who'd a thought?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by