Raccoons

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by HiddenBrookAcres, Nov 10, 2011.

1. HiddenBrookAcres

HiddenBrookAcres Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2011
    Rhode Island
    My coop is as predator proof as I can get it. I have 2 persistent raccoons, is there anything I can do to keep them away? I am permitted to shoot pests if they threaten livestock but I am trying to find some natural deterrents. I would like to hear some ideas. Thanks

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Do you have electric fence around your coop? That's a good deterrent.

3. gamelife

gamelife Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2011
    California
    Quote:So would I.

4. baldessariclan

baldessariclan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Wichita, KS
    Are they able to get into the coop? If not, they'll go away eventually -- move on to easier pickings when they get hungry enough.

5. ll

ll Chillin' With My Peeps

I just read about spreading cayenne pepper all around.
    Supposedly is burns their paws and nostrils?
    Good luck.
    [​IMG]

6. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    They may not get in to the chickens but they will certainly make it part of their rounds. The night you might leave a door open might just coincide with the night that they wander by.

7. HiddenBrookAcres

HiddenBrookAcres Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2011
    Rhode Island
    Quote:they should not be able to get in. It is a shed with double locks on doors and hardware cloth over windows and vents. They manage to get into the run by digging. They are eating whatever veggie scraps and pellets that were left over. I now make sure that I do not leave leftovers. I did bury the chicken wire but they managed to dig under it anyway. I put the hens in before dark and do a head count before lock down...I just want the coons to go away.
    Thanks for the input everyone!

8. Trish44

Trish44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Winfield, KS
    They will go away when they don't find a snack waiting for them & move on to easier pickings.

9. baldessariclan

baldessariclan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Wichita, KS
    Quote:they should not be able to get in. It is a shed with double locks on doors and hardware cloth over windows and vents. They manage to get into the run by digging. They are eating whatever veggie scraps and pellets that were left over. I now make sure that I do not leave leftovers. I did bury the chicken wire but they managed to dig under it anyway. I put the hens in before dark and do a head count before lock down...I just want the coons to go away.
    Thanks for the input everyone!

If you can secure the base of the run so they can't dig under, then they will leave. Maybe try burying big rocks or paving stones on end all around the perimeter? Or a heavy gauge wire floor across the inside (attached to sides of run)? Anyways, if it's too much work or impossible to dig under/into, they'll give up and move on.

We occasionally find some signs that our local raccoons have tried to get in to our coop/run, but no luck for them so far. It would be a pretty tough go -- they'd have to dig under foot tall paving bricks buried in the ground (hard clay soil w/ lots of rocks and tree roots), or somehow chew through hardware cloth and 2x4's. Took some work to build it that way, but it's paid off so far.

10. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by