Raccoons

Shelby18

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 30, 2013
Yakima, WA
We have had problems with raccoons in the past and I am now raising baby chicks in the house and I am just finishing the coop. How do I prevent any raccoons getting a hold of my chickens? The Chickens will be locked in the coop at night but I just want to make sure they are safe during the day also.

The above images should give you some novel ideas on how to handle a trapped coon. Then there is drowning and gassing. It is not at all required that you drown the varmint in a barrel of French Campaign.

A word to the wise. Remember that any coon in a trap it is a cornered coon. If you allow a cornered coon to get to close, you may have to call the fire department to separate the coon from you. In that case please post a link to your local 6:00 o'clock news, we all could use a laugh.
lau.gif

Skunks will also get your chickens if they can. The most important thing is a totally predator proof nighttime coop. A safe daytime run is also a big help. I have live traps set most nights next to the coop; nice cats get homes, coons, possums, etc get buried. Mary

Skunks will also get your chickens if they can. The most important thing is a totally predator proof nighttime coop. A safe daytime run is also a big help. I have live traps set most nights next to the coop; nice cats get homes, coons, possums, etc get buried. Mary

If you are really worried, then make the lower part of your run, and any place raccoon can reach in and grab a chicken, be covered in Hardware cloth. Then, the raccoon can't get his hands into the run.

1/2 or 1/4" hardware cloth, bury 1' around the perimeter of the run. Try Wayfair, Amazon, Ebay for price, it varies wildly so it pays to shop around. If you are in PA, there is a company on ebay that sells for a good price. Trapping predators does nothing but give the trapper revenge. Other predators will just move in. If you have flying predators you will have to cover the top of the pen as well, otherwise an electric wire at the top or other means to stop climbing will work. If you find a good price on hardware cloth please let the rest of us know.

Racoons, skunks, possums and many other predators will get after your chickens. Make sure your pen is predator proof first. Then set live traps. Dispose of predators caught. Others will come but the ones you had will not be added to that number. Predators multiply quickly.

220# conibear bucket trap setup. YouTube it. Got one coon just a couple hours ago with one. Bait was part of a PB sandwich. To hell with live trapping and the chance of getting scratched, bit, etc.

Back
Top Bottom