raccoons

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by SoraAkasuna, Feb 28, 2015.

1. SoraAkasuna

SoraAkasuna Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2015
    cave junction
    So I have a neighbors who have trash on their property and the city won't do anything about it. Raccoons are attracted to it and wander to my property. How can I protect my chickens? I already have a metal coop but anything else!? I don't have a gun or I'd shoot them but I'd rather keep them off my property all together. What do I do?

2. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    You could use a large live trap to catch them.

3. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    See if you can find nuisance wildlife trappers or removal services. Build a fortnox run for your birds! It would be easier to trap or kill the neighbors lol but....better to build a large chicken jail. Sorry for your troubles!

4. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    [​IMG]

You could also use a Duke Dog Proof trap like the one pictured above to keep the delinquent raccoons confined to your property until you have a chance to talk to them properly, say like Brer Bear, Brer Rabbet's Dutch Uncle would talk to a delinquent rabbet..

[​IMG]

And then.......

5. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Welcome! Have your coop and run as safe as possible, and don't scatter any feed outside of the run and coop. Then trap and shoot any that visit your coop area. Electrified poultry netting works great for ground predators if you can use it safely. Have you talked to the health department about the trash? Animal control? Maybe you haven't yet found the right place to complain? Mary

6. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Too funny! It's been a looooooooooong time since I saw that flick. that was a good bit right there!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by