Racism

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by emmalynn, Feb 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emmalynn

emmalynn Silkies Sebbies OEGBs

Oct 16, 2008
    Middle TN
    I had a woman that had arranged to buy 2 chicks from me. I had not cashed her check as the box she ordered had not arrived. We have been talking the past 2 weeks, staying in touch and waiting for the box. The day before the box arrived, she went on a rant about Mexican illegals. My mom was an illegal and so have most of my family at one point or the other. My folks got married back in 1945 and my dad went thru the process of legalizing my mom. All of my Mom's family still lives in Mexico. How would you handle this rant.

2. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I would ignore it, I'm sure it wasn't aimed at you and since it isn't a permanent relationship it won't affect you. I live on the Border and I hear it all the time when I travel. The most I've done to someone who was passively rude like was to smile and say: Ignorance is bliss isn't it? And I walked away.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  3. emmalynn

Oct 16, 2008
    Middle TN
    I truly want to return her check and ship the box. Do you think that is taking it to far?

4. pw_quiltworks

pw_quiltworks One Handy Chick

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    Some people are nasty, ignorant, and rude. Don't let it bother you. I think it carries on from kindergarten. Some never learn compassion. Heck...I would take the money.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2009
  5. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    is it really racism since she was talking about illegals.. not just mexicans?.. Either way i'd probably ignore it, it seems to be pretty common lately all over the US... It shall pass eventually

6. emmalynn

Oct 16, 2008
    Middle TN
    She made sure to state Mexican illegals. This all came up because I told her I would be on vacation in Mexico, visiting family...

So if the box showed up, my husband Jose would get it but we would wait to send until I got back.

I wanted to make sure the chicks had electrolyte jello and Jose doesn't know how to make it.

How many more suggestions to my background is Mexican could have possibly been made?

7. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Quote:yeah, due to that most illegals at the time are mexicans. but illegals themselves aren't a race so it can't be actually racism.. more of prejudice?

-Daniel

PS. Not trying to be disrespectful or anything. just saying

EDIT to fix some typos...

8. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I don't consider myself a racist, but I do feel that people have a right to be upset about illegal activities occurring in their community and country. Illegal immigration is quite costly.

9. emmalynn

Oct 16, 2008
    Middle TN
    This post isn't about discussion of racism or illegal immigration. I asked for an opinion about sending her check and box back.

10. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Alot of people are very upset over all the illegals, not because they are Mexicans. Because they are here illegal !! You should not be upset you are here legal, so comment was not about you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by