racoon attack / deep litter

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by shstein24, Nov 30, 2014.

1. shstein24

shstein24 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2014
    Let me start off by saying I am a completely new chicken mom.

This isn't an emergency, but last night we had a vicious racoon attack and he got three of our girls. He got in through the vent hole. Two others seem to be injured, but I have not been able to determine the severity- but the one that I think may have a damaged wing is now up on a perch (maybe 3ft off ground of coop) and the other who may have a wound in the middle of back has been eating well. I'm sure I'll have questions on care for the injured, but in the meantime I am actually wondering about the coop.
    We shot the racoon. There really was no other way to get him out of the coop, he didn't get scared away with us around and didn't stop his rampage after being shot the first couple times. So needless to say, there is blood everywhere in the coop. We have started the deep litter method, so my question is do we just stir it up and add a new layer or should we change it out completely? Will the freezing temperatures help us right now or are we better off emptying the coop and starting fresh?

2. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Welcome to BYC. Sorry for the loss of your birds and hope the wounded ones will be alright.

Have you fixed the vent to prevent other predators from entering the same way? You don't have to close it off, you could use some 1/2" hardware cloth to secure the opening. As for the coop, I'd go ahead and clean it all up and put down fresh litter.

If you have more questions, please feel free to ask.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC. I agree with NorthFlChick. It would be best to get the coop sanitized as best as you can despite freezing temps and provide fresh litter. Cage your injured birds and take them inside where it's warm, provide them feed and water. Flush the wounds with equal amounts of betadine and water. Then liberally apply neosporin or triple antibiotic on the wounds until healed. Keep the injured birds caged to prevent picking/pecking from your other birds.

1 person likes this.
  4. shstein24

Nov 30, 2014
    Thank you for your responses. A double layer of wire mesh was put in place. The vent also has a door/lock- should I close it at night?
    I will try to pull her today- so worried about hurting her wing more. She has been up on the perches, going from one to the other but I haven't noticed her coming down at all. She looked like she wanted to when I brought their morning yummies, but she didn't. We received these chickens only about 2 wks ago and haven't quite established a relationship yet where she will eat out of my hsnds.

5. shstein24

Nov 30, 2014
    Oops, wasn't finished. ..I don't think the previous owner interacted with them much unfortunately.

6. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Some predators hunt from dusk to dawn so you'll want to ensure they can't get in at night. If that means closing the vent at night because wire mesh won't keep them out, then I guess that's what you have to do. Just keep in mind that good ventilation is important for coops.

It sounds like you're going to have to get in there and pull your bird out (gently of course!). She will have to have at least some liquid to prevent dehydration and whatever nourishment you can get her to take so she doesn't lose her strength. Like dawg53 said, you will need to keep her separated from the other birds (even a dog-type carrier will work). The other chickens will hurt her even more if you don't segregate her until she is healed.

7. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    X2. Disinfect the area of the coop especially where the coon was shot. Coons are vile varmints which carry parasites and Cholera. Set some cage traps outside and smoke each one you catch. Keep that population down.

8. shstein24

Nov 30, 2014
    Thank you! How would you suggest disinfecting? Bleach water? Hoping to do this in a few hrs with my sister in law.
    Good news is that our gray girl did come down from the perches and ate, so that makes me happy. I don't have bentadine, does hydrogen peroxide work or should I make saline solution?

9. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    The amount of bleach used for an effective disinfectant may be too strong for a coop. I don't like to use it in coops.
    I use Oxine AH for coops and Biophene for foot bath and cleaning equipment. You could get any antiviral/bacterial disinfectant at a feed store, or just use Pine-Sol if ventilation is good.
    Iodine/Betadine or Chlorhexidine would be better for wounds.

10. shstein24

Nov 30, 2014
    Trying to post pics, but they don't seem to be coming up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by