Racoon attack - Lost eye!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BlueEggs4Life, May 18, 2010.

1. BlueEggs4Life

BlueEggs4Life Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2009
    West Michigan
    Please help - a friend of mine is new to chickens and apparently did not predator proof well enough, YET. Several of her 9 week old pullets were killed but one is still alive, eating and drinking but has some trouble walking and has lost an eye in the attack. We would like to know what we can do for this chick. Her main concern I think right now is bacteria infection due to the eye wound... is there anything she can apply to it or over it? I have not seen the chick so I don't know if there are other open wounds or not. Any advice is appreciated.

2. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    I don't know of anything that you could put on the eye, but you should make sure that you put some antibiotics (duramycin) in the drinking water. Along with some electrolytes and vitamins as well.

3. BlueEggs4Life

BlueEggs4Life Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2009
    West Michigan
    ok, thanks. what about aspirin in the water for the pain?

4. OldChurchEggery1

OldChurchEggery1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Virginia
    So, this is an old thread but the same thing happened to me last week. How well does a chicken get along with just one eye? I had some 4-week old EEs in a raised coop and overnight there was a raccoon attack. A lot of them were eaten but one got away with a bad head wound and a missing eye. I figured I'd see if it made it overnight and that was Saturday. The area is scabbing up and it seems to be eating and drinking, I just wonder how well a one-eyed chicken does.

5. meishka

meishka Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2011
    I would recommend antibiotics that can be purchased at the feed store that you put in their water and keep her away from the other hens in a quiet and cool area. It worked well for my injured hen....

about a month ago friends hen was attacked by a raccoon and suffered major head wounds including her eye. Because of schedules I took her in. Her eye eventually closed completely and has healed shut.

She was kept in a dog crate away from other hens and she slept for most of the day for almost two weeks solid. After 2 weeks she wanted out first thing in the morning and has become a normal chicken hanging out with my silkie girls.

I didn't put any ointment on the wounds. I just gave her the antibiotics and made sure she had food and water and a place to rest. She lost weight but seems to have fully recovered. The one side blindness doesn't seem to affect her. the only thing I have noticed is that she is a little more jumpy when being approached. This weekend we are putting her back with her original flock....nervous but I have high hopes she will fit right back in where she came from.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by